Chapter 17: Freedom!

"Alex! Wake the fuck up!" Thomas said. "Don't make me unhook myself from my IV just to shake your sorry ass awake!"

   Alex's eyes fluttered open, his body aching from tiredness and his vision blurry. "I'm awake...I'm awake...what is it?" he mumbled tiredly.

   That's when Alex's eyes decided to come into focus. Thomas was sitting up in his hospital bed, a stupid smile on his face. His floofy hair was messier than normal, (which Alex thought was adorable,) and he was bouncing up and down slightly. "I'm getting discharged today! Remember?"

   Alex sighed. "Oh yeah. That's right." He looked at the clock that was chillin' in the hospital room, and it read 6:45. "But is that really an excuse to get me up this early?"

   "Yes!" Thomas answered, smiling wider. "They could let me go at any time, and I want us to be ready for when they do!"

   "Just a few more minutes..," Alex mumbled, his eyes fluttering shut.

   Thomas snapped his fingers in fromt of Alex's face, awakening the small man once more. "No! You've gotta get dressed!"

   Alex groaned and looked at the small bag he had packed full of clothes and things to help with his personal hygiene. (He had went home a week or so ago to pack the bag so that every moment could be spent with his Tommy.) "Do I have to? These clothes are perfectly fine. Plus, the bag is too far away..," Alex whined.

   Thomas gave Alex a "bruh" look. "Alex, your clothes smell like moldy cheese that's been laying out in the hot sun. GET. CHANGED."

   Thomas yeeted a pillow at Alex, causing it to smack him in the face.

   Alex growled and threw the pillow back at Thomas. "Fine...I'm going..," he mumbled, picking himself up and waddling over to his bag. He picked it up and waddled into the bathroom that was in the room, dizzy from tiredness. (Hospitals actually do have those. I'm not weird.)

   Thomas giggled at the way his lover was walking. "Alexander Penguinton," he muttered to himself, making him laugh harder.

   Alex heard Thomas' remark and glared at him. "You're lucky you're still recovering. If you weren't, you would be unconscious on the floor right now."

   Thomas stopped laughing immediately, a bit startled by Alex's response.

   An "innocent" smile spread across Alex's face. "Anyways, I'm gonna get changed now!"

   And with that, he skipped into the bathroom, shut the door, and started to get changed.

   Thomas shook his head a little, smiling to himself. "What a weirdo..," he mumbled.

   That's when the nurse came in. "Hello, Mr. Jefferson. I'm h-here to unplug you from your IV..," she stammered, blushing when she saw Thomas.

   Thomas, of course, had gotten used to these looks from people. "Okay," he said as if he didn't pick up on her feelings at all, "knock yourself out."

   The nurse nodded and shyly walked over to Thomas, unplugging him as quickly as possible. "Uh...are you...are you single..?"

   Thomas fought the urge to face-palm. This happened way too often for him. "Not only am I taken, I'm also gay," he said.

   The nurse looked like she was mentally shooting herself. "O-oh! I-I'm so sorry! I just--"

   "It's fine," Thomas cut her off. "Just leave."

   The nurse nodded and ran out of the room, dragging her nurse cart with her.

   Thomas sighed and stood up for the first time in weeks. It felt nice not to be immobile. He stretched and grabbed his clothes, (which were also in the bag,) and waited outside of the bathroom for Alex to be done.

   Alex walked out of the bathroom, in fresh clothes, his teeth brushed, and his dirty clothes in his hands. He was wearing a baggy hoodie, (of course,) some jeans, and a headband with cat ears.

   Thomas eyed Alex up and down and smirked when he saw the cat ears. "Wow, Alex. You've truly outgayed yourself."

   Alex scoffed and shoved Thomas into the bathroom, locking him inside it. "I like them, okay? Now get changed."

   Thomas giggled and began to change into the clothes he had in his hands.

   After getting dressed, Thomas nrushed his teeth, which is a bit boring for me to describe, so I won't.

   When he was done, Thomas walked out of the bathroom, dirty clothes in hand. He put them back in the bag, looking around for Alex, who wasn't anywhere to be seen. "Alex?" Thomas called, an eyebrow raised.

   He was about to call for his lover again when Alex tackled him from behind.

   "wAuGhH-" Thomas screeched, falling over.

   Alex giggled, getting off of Thomas. "Ha. I got you."

   Thomas rolled his eyes, getting up. "You're so humorous."

   That's when another nurse piked her head into the room. "All right, Mr. Jefferson. You're good to go."

   Thomas smiled. That seemed to be the only normal nurse at that hospital. "Thank you, ma'am. Have a nice day."

   "You too," the nurse smiled, walking away.

   Thomas excitedly scooped up the bag and grabbed Alex's hand, dragging him out of the room.

***

   After a bit of Thomas dragging Alex, the two men were outside. Thomas inhaled what was the first breath of fresh air that he had had in weeks. A stupid smile spread across his face as his pace slowed down.

   Alex looked up and also smiled, Thomas' smile being very contagious. "You're happy to be out of there, I see?" Alex asked.

   "Very," Thomas said, stopping his walk altogether.

   Before Alex coukd question why Thomas was stopping, Thomas laid down on the ground, patting the grass next to him.

   Alex smiled and laid down next to Thomas, the grass cool on his back.

   "This is nice," Thomas commented, sighing happily.

   "It is," Alex agreed.

   A comfortable silence surrounded the couple, soothing them both to the core. They both breathed in the crisp November air, enjoying each other's company.

   Then, Thomas randomly wrapped his arms around Alex in a loving hug.

   Alex giggled and hugged Thomas back, happiness surrounding both of them. They watched the clouds roll by as a pleasent breeze blew through their hair.

   There was nothing but bliss.

   Finally. It was about time.

   Nothing could undo that bliss between Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Jefferson.

   Nothing.