The Spooks

Ava's feet stomp across the kitchen tiles as she grumbles, "I'm coming

Ava's feet stomp across the kitchen tiles as she grumbles, "I'm coming. I'm coming."

"Aiishh," she hisses as she opens the microwave door, silencing the obnoxious ringing.

Grabbing the bag of popcorn by the edge, she sets it onto the counter. As she stands on her tiptoes, she opens the wooden cupboard. Her eyes scanning about the different colored bowls neatly stacked inside. Picking out her favorite one, she pulls out a teal bowl painted with little susuwataries.

Tugging the bag open, she watches the steam seep out into the kitchen. The haze forming wispy clouds that swirl about before dispersing into thin air. A small smile tugs at her lips as she peeks inside the bag. Perfectly white, crisped kernels look up at her. Dumping the content into the bowl, she proudly makes her way into the living room.

She finds Jungkook sat on the couch, leaning forward with his arms propped onto his knees. With the remote practically dangling from his slender fingers, he lets out a dramatic sigh before ruffling his hair.  Pushing his tongue against the inside of his cheek, he continues to scroll through the endless list of movies on Netflix.

"Sooo what are we going to watch tonight?" Ava asks, throwing some popcorn into her mouth as she plops down beside him.

Turning to face her, he flashes her a small smile as he falls back onto the couch. The frustration he was feeling moments before instantly disappearing as his eyes lay sight on the love of his life.

Casually slinging his left arm around her, his right hand grabs a handful of popcorn. In between chews he says, "I was thinking we could watch a horror movie in honor of it being halloween."

He redirects his gaze towards the tv screen as he finds the horror section.

Ava nearly chokes on her popcorn, forcefully gulping down the popped kernel. The ends clawing at her throat as if it was desperately trying to escape the clutches of her stomach. Just like Ava suddenly wanted to find a way out of this situation.

"Horror?" she meekly whispers.

"Yeah," he says, turning to face her. "Is that okay?"

"You know what," Ava says as she slowly places the popcorn bowl onto the table. Standing up she looks at the large, wooden clock hung on the wall behind the couch. Feigning a yawn she begins, "whooo I didn't realize how late it was." Stretching out her arms she continues. "I'm just going to go hit the hay. Sorry Guk we'll have to do this tomo—"

But before she could step over his legs to get to the hallway leading to her room, Jungkook grabs her by the waist, pulling her back down beside him.

"First off," he playfully scolds, sending shivers down Ava's spine, "don't give me that tired crap when two hours ago you were talking poor Yoongi hyung's ear off about how you were finally gonna watch your first horror movie this halloween."