Chapter XXVII

I was choosing between two families.

Go back with Rory and Ami, to my old pack, and resume life as the Alpha’s second son.

Or stay with Chancelor, continue with my new life as just another member of a pack.

Go back to people giving me weird looks every time they saw me.

Or stay with people who I barely knew, but were a close-knit community regardless of their size.

Go back to Haven.

Or stay with Fenix.

My expression must’ve shown something, because Chancelor stepped forward. “You don’t have to decide right away. You can think on it for a few hours. I’m sure Anna and Dani won’t mind helping me entertain your parents for a little while.”

“Of course not,” Anna said, her accent lilting and making me feel a bit more calm. “I was just starting on lunch, in fact. I’m sure they’re hungry after their trip.”

Chancelor smiled at her appreciatively, gesturing for Rory and Ami to follow. They did so reluctantly, giving me glances as they left the room. Then, it was only myself, with Torrence and Fenix.

Fenix still hadn’t spoken. In fact, I was unsure if he was even in the room still, but I was too afraid to check.

“So...what’re you gonna do?” Torrence asked quietly. I sighed, glancing down at my lap before shrugging a little.

“I don’t know. I like it here, you know?” I replied. “If I go back, nothing’ll change. Haven’s still gonna hate me. Everyone’s still gonna look at me weird. I think the only thing I’d really miss, aside from Rory and Ami, are you and Will.”

Torrence shifted slightly at the mention of Will, but I was too busy thinking to look into it. Really, what would going back change? Nothing. Haven wouldn’t suddenly like me again. Everyone wouldn’t forget about what happened.

I was overcomplicating this. The answer was obvious. I wanted to stay. I wanted to be in Chancelor’s pack, with Anna, and Fenix, and, dare I say it, with Danielle.

“...You’re not coming back. Are you?”

I looked at Torrence, watching him for a second before shaking my head a little. “No. I don’t think so.”

Torrence sighed miserably, but nodded, like he expected it. “Right. Well. Guess we can still visit, sometimes.” he said. I smiled slightly at him before I stood up, heading for the kitchen. Everyone was quiet, and I had to clear my throat to get their attention.

“Raine-- did you decide already?” Chancelor asked, frowning again. I nodded quickly, glancing around at everyone in the room.