Chapter XVI

It was ridiculous. You don’t get attached to someone just because they were being nice to you. Even if they were disturbingly attractive.

I sighed in irritation as I paced around my living room, impatiently waiting for six to roll around. I wanted to go back to the center house, eat dinner, and see Fenix again. I’d only been here for three days and I was already aiming way too high. I’d probably be considered an Omega in this pack, versus Fenix, who was clearly Alpha material if he wanted to be. Maybe if I was still a Beta it might be a little better, but I wasn’t. So why was I getting myself into this situation? It was a bad idea. A very bad idea.

I fell onto the couch, leaning against the back of it and huffing.

Danielle would kill me if she found out I liked her brother. No doubt about it. Tomorrow night’s dinner would be roasted Raine. With an apple in my mouth.

I rolled my eyes at the thought. No. I wasn’t going to do this. Not again.

I’d already ruined one pack by falling for someone. I wasn’t going to do it again. There was no need to worry, because nothing was going to happen. Fenix was just being nice, and I thanked him. That was it.

With that in mind, I nodded to myself and checked the time, figuring it was close enough to six to start heading to the center house.

And Chancelor hadn’t been kidding when he said a lot of people came. They had to extend the table in the dining room, and add on a few smaller tables along the sides of the room. But it was nice to see everyone together and getting along well.

“Raine! Over here!”

I turned to where I heard my name being called, not surprised to see Chancelor standing near the head of the main table. He gestured me over, pointing to the second seat on the left as I came closer. “Saved you a seat. I probably should’ve mentioned everyone usually got here around five-thirty.” he said with a smile.

I paused at that, but nodded slightly as I sat down. Chancelor was at the head of the table, which was no surprise, and to his immediate right was Danielle, but the chair to his left, and beside me, was empty. I gave it a curious look, and Chancelor leaned forward to speak quietly. “Fenix usually sits on the left. You seemed more comfortable with him than Danielle.”

Comfortable was an understatement. But I only nodded again, and Chancelor smiled as someone came up and started a conversation with him.

I felt incredibly awkward and out of place. It seemed like this pack didn’t really have anyone that kept to themselves. Everyone talked with each other like they were all old friends, which they probably were.

Glancing over, I couldn’t help but notice Danielle eyeing me, looking less than pleased with my spot. I pretended to ignore her, focusing instead on the plate in front of me. Chancelor stood up and went with the person who’d come over to him to the kitchen, and Danielle openly glared at me. Ducking my head, I chewed on the inside of my cheek as a distraction, rubbing my hands together under the table.