Chapter XIV

I didn’t hear Fenix speak again the following day, but he seemed to be watching me more closely. He woke me up around six with breakfast, and was back up half an hour later to get the tray, gesturing for me to follow him downstairs. Danielle was in the living room, sitting on the couch and impatiently tapping her foot as we came down. She fully ignored both of us, which I was perfectly fine with.

Fenix took the tray into the kitchen and returned a minute later, coming to stand beside me near the stairs. I looked up at him, and he only glanced down to me for a moment before looking away again.

It felt awkward, silently standing in the living room. Danielle was determined to ignore our existence, and Fenix was back to his quiet self. I was afraid to even breathe the wrong way…

About fifteen minutes into it, the silence was broken by the front door opening. I look over to see a boy about my age coming in, with messy dark brown hair and golden eyes. He looked ecstatic to be in the house, which was lost on me, because it’d just been a nightmare since I arrived.

Danielle shot up from her seat and went to the door, and the boy’s eyes lit up. “Dani!” he said loudly, running up and hugging her tightly, picking her up and spinning her around before setting her back onto her feet. Danielle was actually laughing.

“Chancelor, good to have you back.” she chuckled.

Chancelor. This was their Alpha? Maybe I was in luck after all.

“Good to be back. God I miss this place. Can’t wait to graduate and be done with that school.” Chancelor sighed, a large smile on his face as he looked over to Fenix and I. His smile dropped however when he saw me, and he frowned in confusion. “Who’s this?”

Danielle looked over to us as well and stopped laughing, all the seriousness from the past few days coming back to her as she sighed. “Meet Raine. He’s a traitor from the Karrow’s pack, and wants protection from us.”

I averted my eyes at that, looking down at the floor as Chancelor hummed. I heard him walk toward us, and glanced up to see him looking at Fenix. “Hey Fenix.” he said. Fenix inclined his head a little, but Chancelor seemed to expect it and smiled before he looked back at me. “So, you’re Raine?”

I nodded a little, and Danielle scoffed. “You will respect our Alpha.” she warned. Chancelor frowned and looked over to her, holding up his hand.

“I’ve got it, Dani, chill.” he replied. She rolled her eyes a little, crossing her arms over her chest as Chancelor looked back at me and smiled a little. “Why don’t we go into the kitchen and talk, alright?”

I nodded again, and Chancelor smiled a little more, leading me into the kitchen and away from his cousins. He went to the icebox and got out a soda, opening it and taking a drink before sighing and leaning back against the counter, watching me. I stayed near the entrance, standing still as I wrapped my arms around myself.

Chancelor didn’t seem like thet type of person to enjoy silence, and he proved it by clearing his throat awkwardly and speaking. “So, how long have you been here, Raine?”

“... About three days.”

He nodded, mulling that over. “And you’re from the Karrow’s pack.”

“Yes.”

He nodded again, taking another drink of his soda and humming. “I’m required to ask why you left, but I understand if you don’t want to answer.” he said, shrugging a little. I hesitated, glancing down at my feet.

“... My brother and I had a few issues… and I sort of cost him the position of future Alpha…” I murmured. Chancelor frowned at that, tilting his head.

“You’re… the Alpha’s son?”

“Kind of.”

Chancelor frowned more, shaking his head a little. “Wow, okay… Huh. How’d you get here? The Karrow’s pack is… miles away.”

I shifted slightly. “I was brought here. By Hathorne.”

Chancelor snorted at that. “I knew he’d call in that favor eventually.” he muttered. I frowned slightly, and he just shook his head. “Long story. So, do you want to stay here?”

“Well…” I mumbled, “I don’t really have anywhere else to go…”

“That settles it then.” he said with a smile. “You’re staying here. You’re now officially a part of the Woods’ pack. Where are you staying now?”

“Here. Upstairs. Second room on the left.” I replied. He nodded, gesturing for me to follow him out of the kitchen. Fenix and Danielle were both in the living room still, and looked up when we entered.

“He’s staying here.” Chancelor told them. Danielle’s expression subtly showed some of her discontent, but she wasn’t about to go against her Alpha. So she only nodded, and Chancelor’s smile widened. “Good to know that there isn’t any objection. Now, come on, let’s go. I have a whole pack of people to see. And a house to settle our new member into.”