Chapter VI

I woke up the next morning to an empty bed across from me. Haven couldn’t have been out all night, could he? I sighed and got dressed, and upon going into the living room, I saw him sound asleep on the couch.

Guess we wouldn’t be sharing a room for a while.

Ami was in the kitchen, and smiled to me as she made breakfast, handing me a cup of tea. “Your father left early this morning,” she said, speaking quietly, “went hunting with a few of his friends. Hopefully they bring back some deer. I have a great idea for dinner.”

Ami loved cooking-- in my own opinion, she was the best in the pack. Not that that was hard to do, since it was so small, but still.

I sat down at the table, sipping my tea as she talked about food and ran around the kitchen, flipping pancakes, peeling oranges, buttering biscuits. I couldn’t help but smile. Until a quiet groan alerted me of the other body in the house.

Haven shuffled into the kitchen, holding his head as he yawned and walked right by me. He went for the ice box and moved to open it when Ami leaned over and smacked his shoulder hard with a wooden spoon. “Ow!” he jumped, “What was that for?”

“For worrying me! You expect me to be okay with you walking in here at two in the morning? And then falling asleep on my couch? Honestly, Haven.” she replied. I snorted quietly before I could stop myself, and Haven bristled at the noise, glancing in my direction out of the corner of his eye. “Now go take a shower and get dressed. Your father has some work for the two of you after breakfast. Think of it as your punishment.”

“Because the humiliation wasn’t good enough.” Haven muttered, making Ami glare at him as he walked out. She sighed, putting a hand on her hip.

“I don’t know what’s gotten into him lately. He’s ridiculous. Thank God one of you still has some sense.” she snorted. I shifted a little at that.

Yeah, enough sense to fall for my brother. Yay, sense…

“Morning.”

I jumped as Rory put his hand on my shoulder while he walked into the kitchen, catching Ami around the waist and pulling her against him. She frowned. “I take it the hunt went well?” she asked.

“Very well.”

“You got a deer?”

“Mutiple.”

“That’s all I care about.” she said, detangling herself from him as he rolled his eyes before turning to me.

“When did you get up?”

I shrugged. “Half hour ago. Ish.”

He nodded. “Good. I’ve got a job for you and your brother after breakfast. Well, as long as he doesn’t run off again.” he added, rolling his eyes again. Ami snorted.

“He better not. Next time I won’t leave the door unlocked.”

Rory smiled slightly at that, shaking his head as he looked at me again. “Outside as soon as you’re done.” he directed. I nodded, and he left the kitchen, walking through the living room to the sliding door before going out onto the porch. Not wanting to waste any time, I quickly finished eating and put my shoes on, heading through the sliding door to see a pile of deer in front of the porch.

I enjoyed eating deer, I did. But that didn’t mean I wanted to look at it beforehand. Rory stood next to it with a few of the older wolves, his arms crossed over his chest. “You and Haven are going to take these over to George. That’s all you’re going to do. Not too big of a job, I don’t think.”

“These are huge.” I pointed out, stepping up to the pile and grimacing as one of the buck’s head flopped to the side. “They probably weigh more than I do.”

“Don’t worry, I’m sure Will and Torrence will be happy to help. Right John?” Rory asked, turning to one of the guys. He was Will’s father, and the two looked a lot alike-- both tall and muscular, with brown hair and hazel eyes.

“Oh yeah. More than happy.” he agreed. I almost sighed, instead hanging my head as Haven came outside. I could literally feel the tension in the air as he came down and stood a good five feet away from me, looking at the deer with a slight glare. Rory didn’t even speak to him as he looked back at me.

“Shouldn’t take longer than an hour, alright?” he said. I nodded, and he nodded back before leading the guys away from the porch. It was awkward, standing there with Haven. Neither of us said anything.

And the sad part was that I couldn’t be mad at him. I know he only said what he did out of anger because Rory had taken the position of Alpha away from him. Even if he did embarass me, it didn’t seem to be that big of a deal. Sure, the occasional odd look, but for the most part, I was left alone. So I couldn’t hold a grudge.

My thoughts were cut short by an arm around my shoulder, making me jump and look up to see Will standing beside me and sighing heavily. “Alright short-stuff, what’re we doing?” he asked. I glared a little at the nickname, seeing Torrence coming up beside Haven, who looked a little more relaxed to have the two of them with us.

“Moving deer.” I replied. Will sighed again, but nodded.

“Alright, let’s get to it then, shall we?”