11 | SPOOKY SCARY SKELE-HORSES

✧✧✧
MUGGLEBORN:
CHAPTER TEN
✧✧✧

Esther moved down the hall of the Hogwarts Express, checking in open compartments for Justin. He had to be on the train, and she was worried sick about him. They had both already been through the trauma of their second-year paralysis, and she was concerned about how the Death Eater's presence at the Quidditch World Cup was affecting him.

"I can't believe I was so close to leaving this rubbish school." Esther heard a familiar voice. She held in a sigh — Draco Malfoy. She stopped before passing their compartment, deciding to listen for a moment; she was intrigued.

"Wouldn't you miss us?" She heard Pansy Parkinson say. Esther held back a giggle, knowing that Draco truly wouldn't mind.

Draco ignored her question. "Father agreed that it would be better for me, but Mother wouldn't stand for it. She wants me to stay close to home." Esther was about to leave, but then her housemate continued onto another topic. "Father said that I'll be able to learn more about Durmstrang this year. He wouldn't say why, but apparently, Durmstrang and Beauxbatons are going to be visiting Hogwarts."

Esther frowned. She hadn't heard of those schools before — but, then again, she still had a lot to learn about the wizarding world.

So does Justin. She thought and pulled herself away to return to her goal.

She eventually gave up her search and returned to her original compartment with Amanda and Terry, only to find Justin sitting among them.

"I've been looking all over for you!" Esther exclaimed. She enveloped him in a quick hug.

"Amanda found me. I was right across the hall." He laughed.

"How are you?" Esther asked, taking a seat next to him.

Justin's smile faltered. "Well, you know about the World Cup... I'm sorry I didn't write. I was really shaken, so I took a while to myself."

"Don't worry about that." She shook her head. "I'm just glad you're okay."

"What happened there?" Terry asked, and Amanda nudged him with an irritated look.

"No, it's okay," Justin said in response to Amanda's action. "It was... terrifying. One minute, we were having a great time, and the next, there's a skull and a snake in the sky and everyone's running and screaming, and no one knew what to do."

"I'm really sorry," Amanda said, and Esther and Terry agreed.

"It's alright. I'm fine now." He reassured them.

The group was quiet for a moment, unsure of what to say.

"I heard Draco talking about what's going on this year," Esther said, remembering the conversation she overheard. "He talked about two other schools, Durmstrang and Boo... um..."

"Beauxbatons?" Terry cracked a smiled. "Yeah, they're schools in Bulgaria and France. What'd Malfoy say?"

"He said that they would be visiting Hogwarts, but doesn't know why."

"Huh," Terry breathed.

"I would love to go to school in France." Amanda thought aloud. "But I like Hogwarts too much."

Justin eventually went back to his compartment to catch up with some of his Hufflepuff friends. Esther, Terry, and Amanda spent the rest of the ride discussing Amanda's trip to France and speculating what the "special occasion" this year would be.

When the train arrived at Hogwarts, everyone climbed into the carriages to ride up to the school.

Justin froze upon seeing the carriages. "What, what are those?" He stammered.