8 | BANTER WITH THE BARON

✧✧✧
MUGGLEBORN:
CHAPTER EIGHT
✧✧✧

After ringing in the new year, classes resumed as normal - for the most part. A 6:00 pm curfew had been implemented, which cut Esther's group study sessions short. At dinner on their first day back from holiday, Esther and her friends discussed the change.

"I don't like it," Ernie stated. Hannah nodded in her usual, very agreeable sense. While the girl was sweet, Esther was starting to wonder if she could really form any opinions on her own. Esther moved her pork around her plate with her fork as she listened.

"Your life is in less danger though," Amanda pointed out, then took a swig of milk. "I'll be the first to admit that the curfew is annoying, but it's keeping people safe..." She trailed off. Esther noted from the corner of her eye the quick glance her friend cast in her direction.

Terry glanced up from his book, obviously barely listening in on the conversation occurring in front of him. "I'm surprised no one knows more about this. My roommate Michael was talking about it last night. This chamber has been here since the school was founded; why has no one tried to find-"

Terry was cut short when Professor McGonagall's voice boomed throughout the Great Hall. "Students must follow their prefects to their dormitories immediately!" She announced sternly. She seemed to be using her wand to amplify her voice.

"Another attack?" Amanda guessed.

Esther felt her stomach go hollow, especially with her casual wording. Another. "Probably."

Pippa cast her a sad glance before the two Slytherins rose from their seats. "We'll see you guys later." She said, sounding defeated. They left to join the rest of the Slytherins, which were collecting around their prefect.

Pippa and Esther joined the cluster of green-robed students, not saying much of anything. Even so, they were engulfed in numerous surrounding conversations.

"What do you think happened?"

"My mum wants to send me to Beauxbatons because of all this rubbish going on."

"I bet they had it coming, whoever it was."

"Which mudblood was it this time?"

"C'mon, no one really deserves to be petrified..."

By the time they reached the Slytherin common room, the nauseous feeling in Esther's stomach had just about consumed her. She decided to go straight to bed, despite the fact that it was still hours until she normally went to sleep.

"You alright?" Pippa asked hesitantly. The two were alone in their dorm; most students remained downstairs to gossip.

Esther didn't quite know how to respond as she climbed under her covers. "I... I don't know."

"Okay." She replied gently. They were both silent for a while. "G'night."

This made Esther smiled softly, grateful for the girl's kindness and respect. "Night, Pippa."

✧✧✧

Esther slept through breakfast the next day. This surprised her, but she was grateful that Pippa had managed to let her sleep so long. With all the confusion and sadness and fear she was feeling, Esther wished she could sleep through the next few days.

Speaking of her friend, Pippa entered the room in a rush. "I brought you a muffin. Also, Pansy's coming, you should know-"

"Oh, look who's awake!" Pansy giggled when she emerged from the doorway. "I left my charms book here, but I guess it means that I'll have the honor of telling you the good news!"