9 | SLEEPING BEAUTY

✧✧✧
MUGGLEBORN:
CHAPTER NINE
✧✧✧

"She should awaken at any moment- MISTER FINCH-FLETCHLEY, PLEASE STAY BACK WHILE SHE'S RECOVERING!"

Esther winced as she felt a weight of another person fall on top of her. She opened her eyes slowly, blinking rapidly to regain her clear vision. The girl squinted as her sight focused on a familiar face standing beside her - a boy with dark hair, chapped lips (no doubt from remaining unconscious for so long), and a beaming grin.

"Hey, Justin." A giggle escaped her mouth as she greeted him. Esther pushed herself into a seated position, then glanced around. "We're in the hospital wing? Why am I..." She trailed off as memories began to resurface. "Oh..."

"You should be feeling better within the next few minutes, Ms. Somers," reported Madam Pomfrey. "You're free to leave when you'd like. A feast is currently transpiring in the Great Hall to commemorate the revival of you lot." The woman then left to tend to another patient.

"C'mon!" Justin exclaimed. He rapidly drummed his hands on his legs, anxious to go see his friends. Esther looked back at him, then noticed a table of cards and candies next to her. She smiled softly, feeling a wave of gratitude roll over her for having such amazing friends.

"Esther?" He asked. Esther shifted her focused back to her friend. She slid off the bed and was immediately crushed in a hug.

"Alright, alright." She laughed but welcomed the embrace. The girl then switched her tone to a whisper. "Hey... race ya to the Great Hall?"

"You're so on." He challenged playfully. "Three-two-one GO!"

The two children tore down the hallway, ignoring a protest from Madam Pomfrey that echoed from the Hospital Wing behind them. Their thundering footsteps bounced off the walls as they ran, giggling the whole way there.

Esther and Justin could hear and smell the Great Hall before they even arrived. Upon entering, they were consumed with the busy conversations of their fellow students and the aromas of cooked food. They slowed to a stop at the large doorway of the hall, taking in the scene. Esther spotted a couple of the other students who had been petrified before her, and she was glad to see they were feeling as well as she was.

"I totally beat you," Justin stated, catching his breath.

"No way!" She exclaimed. "We can call it a tie."

"Hmm... fine." Justin laughed. "C'mon, let's go sit down."

They found their way to the Hufflepuff table. Terry, who was sitting across from Amanda spotted them first. He was only student in blue robes amongst the table filled with those who were dressed in yellow ones. It was then that Esther realized she was still in her dark green pajamas. "Esther! Justin!" Terry exclaimed. A grin spread across his face. "You're alright!"

Ernie and Hannah greeted them cheerfully. Amanda immediately whirled around in her seat. She stumbled as she shot up from the table, tackling both her newly revived friends in a hug. "Thank Helga you two are okay!"

Esther held her friend tightly during the embrace. "I'm just glad to be awake." She said. Justin nodded in agreement.

"Esther!" Another voice squeaked. Esther turned to see Pippa running up to them. She must have been sitting at the Slytherin table with the rest of their house. Esther was greeted with yet another hug.

"I'm so sorry this happened; I should've been there; I was devastated when I heard what had happened - and in our own common room too!" The girl rambled off, her brown eyes starting to swell with tears.