4 | MONSTERS AND MURDERERS

✧✧✧
MUGGLEBORN:
CHAPTER FOUR
✧✧✧

Esther and Pippa had grown closer after the rescue from Draco Malfoy's torments, and both of them were grateful to have a good friend as a roommate. Pippa had even begun sitting at the Hufflepuff table during meals. However, even with the development of their friendship, the Chamber of Secrets was a topic that remained greatly undiscussed.

"Have you heard about Pansy?" Pippa quietly asked Esther on their way to Transfiguration.

"Oh?" Esther inquired, a smile playing on her lips

"She fancies Draco Malfoy. I heard her talking to Milicent about it before Charms." Pippa giggled, which caused Esther to do so in return.

"But he's so awful!" Esther exclaimed.

"I know!" Pippa agreed. The two entered the classroom, taking a seat next to each other. On their desk, there was a small cage with a couple of rabbits inside.

The two glanced back at Draco, who was seated a couple of rows behind them. However, when Harry Potter and his two friends entered the room, Esther's attention was drawn to them. The slightly fearful feeling since the night she saw the writing on the wall had not left her, and Esther couldn't help but want to know more.

"Hermione, are you sure you've checked everywhere in the library?" Esther heard the ginger-haired boy whisper to the girl as they passed. Hermione started to respond, but Esther sighed once they were out of earshot, since she was now unable to hear any more of their discussion.

Soon, Professor McGonagall commanded the attention of the room. "Today, we will be turning animals into water goblets." She paused. "Yes, Ms. Granger?"

Hermione lowered her raised hand. "Professor, I was wondering if you could tell us about the Chamber of Secrets?"

The class fell quiet, and Esther exchanged a glance with Pippa.

Their professor pressed her lips into a firm line. "The subject is Transfiguration, Miss Granger."

"Yes, Professor. But there seems to be very little written about the Chamber of Secrets. For those of us with a personal interest in the subject, that is... disturbing."

Esther heard Draco snicker quietly, and she wondered what he could possibly find amusing about the situation.

Professor McGonagall pursed her lips, considering the girl's question. "Very well. You all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. Three of the founders co-existed quite harmoniously. One did not."

"Three guesses who?" Esther heard the ginger goy next to Harry Potter whisper.

"Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts." Professor McGonagall continued. "He believed that magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. In other words, purebloods. Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. According to legend, Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle, known as the Chamber of Secrets. Shortly before departing, he sealed it until that time when his own true heir returned to the school. The heir alone would be able to open the Chamber of Secrets and unleash the horror within, and by so doing, purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic."

Esther glanced down at the table. She wasn't surprised by any of the information, of course, but it still stung that even her house's founder would have strongly disapproved of her.