XI. for the better

Chapter Eleven:
For the Better

Tuesday,
November 22nd,
1977.

     Taking a rarely used corridor to the Great Hall for breakfast in order to not run into Sirius Black seemed like a good idea to Archer Reyes until, of course, it wasn't.

Defence Against the Dark Arts was first up on Archer's schedule—therefore, Dhruv had a free period, and was opting to sleep in rather than get up early—so he was left to walk to breakfast by himself. He had taken a secluded corridor, and although it was the longer route to the Great Hall and thus would take him longer to reach his destination, there was also a smaller chance that he would run into Sirius.

Archer had been successfully dodging him all week, but knew his luck would have to run out eventually—

He rounded the corner and almost cursed aloud.

There, in the flesh, was—you guessed it!—Sirius Black.

He looked just as startled to see Archer as Archer was to see him, his eyebrows raised and his lips parted in surprise.

"Hello," Archer peeped, out of shock more so than a desire to initiate a conversation. His voice came out in a higher pitch than normal, and he internally cringed. After a second of standing there, feeling stupid, he made a start to move around Sirius... only for Sirius to do the same thing. Their bodies collided with one another, Sirius' hands reaching out and stabilising his shoulders as Archer's cheeks turned a dark shade of pink.

Archer stepped back, readjusting the strap of his book bag as he fumbled for words. Sirius' arms fell back to his side.

Sirius said, "Hey, Archer."