VI. take my hand

Chapter Six:
Take My Hand

Monday,
October 31st,
1977.

Halloween, in Archer's opinion, was... interesting. Like, alright, you got to dress up in funny costumes and eat as much candy as you want, but there was definitely a creepy side to it as well. Who in their right mind decided that little kids knocking on strangers' doors at night was a good idea? It baffled him the more he thought about it.

     The festivities at Hogwarts were pretty good, however. Whilst no one dressed up or did anything like that, there was a magnificent feast in the Great Hall in the evening that everyone looked forward to, and Archer was no exception. The thought of it made his mouth water. Unfortunately, the feast was still several hours away, but Archer waited in anticipation.

     To pass the time, Archer and Dhruv were at the Black Lake. It was early in the morning, so the air was quite cool. The lake reflected the overcast sky, grey and white and a little overwhelming to look at for too long. Archer liked spending time at the lake. It was calming, and it made him feel at ease when there were no stars for him to look at.

     "So, there is this girl..."

     For the last ten minutes, Dhruv had been talking with him about his new sweetheart, Heather Finch. Sentences—or poems, really... not that Archer would dare say that to Dhruv's face, or dare face a considerable amount of denial—regarding Heather were spoken in between Dhruv skipping stones across the lake.

     "She is the one, Archie," Dhruv informed him before picking up another stone. He skillfully threw it, and it skidded once, then twice, and then finally a third time before it landed with a plop and sunk into the depths of the lake. "I swear it. Every other girl vanishes from my mind the moment I see her."