IX. almost

Chapter Nine:
Almost

Saturday,
November 19th,
1977.

Archer Reyes didn't go on dates often. If a girl asked him out—which, to be fair, didn't happen too much; Dhruv was usually the one they'd be after—he would find some convincing excuse to get out of it: homework, not feeling well, stressed... You name it, Archer had used it.

But today was different. He could tell how much this double date meant to Dhruv, and so for today he would suck it up and just do it. It was only one date. Archer figured it couldn't be that bad—he was with Dhruv, after all. If the conversation turned awkward, Dhruv would be sure to sweep in and keep it flowing.

It's going to be fine, Archer reassured himself. You'll be fine.

Archer and Dhruv patiently waited for their dates in the courtyard. Whilst Dhruv casually leant against the archway pillar, Archer stood with his hands buried in his pockets. His foot tapped uncontrollably on the stone floor. He still didn't know who Heather had picked out to be his date. A sickening thought suddenly came to him—what if she had forgotten, and she hadn't picked anyone to be his date? Then he would have to face the embarrassment of telling Dhruv and Heather, "Oh, it's fine, really!" as they both stared at him with pity in their eyes.

That's not going to happen, Archer thought firmly, but the sliver of doubt stayed rooted in his mind.

He sighed, glancing over at Dhruv who didn't seem to be nervous at all. Maybe he's just really good at hiding it, Archer thought. However, Dhruv had always been the cooler of the two. Even his outfit for the date—dark jeans and a flannel shirt with a jacket overtop—looked cool, especially when compared to Archer's simple knitted sweatshirt and trousers.