Chapter 6

"There should be another temple along the river, and I want there to be two statues of me at the entrance."

"Yes, your highness." The architects gather their materials and began to walk towards the exit muttering to one another.

"Two statues? By the gods, I can barely look upon the one in front of me."

"Jealous are we Adom?" Ramesses remarked.

"I seem to remember it was you who pretend to be me, a general, to get a girls attention," Adom said triumphantly. "How is she by the way? I haven't seen her in a few weeks since the hearing?"

Ramesses prepared to continue the banter, was cut short.

"Both of you shut up, there is an actual business to discusses." Seti admonished the two as he and his viziers and ministers entered the chamber. "The Nile is late to flood this year and grain inventories must be made, foreign diplomats will be arriving for the Fest of Wagy soon, and our ministers are worried the Hittites will continue to push further into our territories. Now do either of you have some advice to offer?"

Ramesses's and Adom's head snapped up.

"Will there be war?" Ramesses asked.

"The Hittites would not be so foolish as to think they could win a war against us now," Adom spoke calmly.

"As of now, I do not think it will escalate to that, but we can not let our eyes slip off them. Understood?" Seti commanded.

"Yes, father."

"The gain is currently being counted and log," spoke up one of the minsters, as they made their way to their seats, "it appears that with the surplus we had last harvest there will be enough to tide us over for this year, but we must pray for more favorable account come next flood season."

Seti nodded and looked to the next minister. He was a tall, slender man with a shaven head and deep-set blue eyes.

"The Fest of Wagy is only two weeks away. Diplomates have already begun arriving. Rooms must be arraigned according to the individual needs, and the Priest and Priestess are to predicting the rituals must prepare for the citizens who will journey to the temples of their ancestors."

"The Feast of what?"

"Not what Wagy," Chion corrected, "it is only the largest and longest celebration of the whole year."

A celebration? Well, there is nothing like a party to let you escape your problems. I thought to myself Chion fixed my hair. It would be nice to escape into a crowed people for a night and not be the stranger river girl.

Once Chion declared me fit for the world, I made my way down to Pavillion where I had been having my lessons with Nabnetur for the past weeks. Apparently, the Queen felt this was a necessary part of my protection to keep my identity a secret. Only this time, instead of a mound of scrolls a beautiful woman sat on the pavillions lounge. Her raven hair reflected the sun and her eyeliner was sharp enough to cut a man. Her beautiful blue dress blew in the genital afternoon wind. She stood to greet me as I approached.

"You must be Natalie." Her smile was captivating. But I was wary; the few months I had spent in the palace had though me to keep my guard up.

"Forgive me, but you seem to know my name, and I don't have such a luxury."

"Of course, I apologize. I am Rania, High Priests of the Temple of Isis. I was asked by Nabnetur to meet with you today. He informed me that you are quite clever and very skilled with languages," she said all this without letting anything slip through her mask. Being able to read people was something I become quite skilled at during my time in Egypt, but this woman alluded me.

"Yes... I have always enjoyed learning languages. They are windows into other worlds and a good way to make sure others are telling the truth." I replied.

Rania's eyes laughed, "You may survive this place after all. I will admit, you were not what I picture when I heard about the girl who was pulled from the Nile."

I didn't replay. What was this woman playing at? I couldn't tell, and that made me nervous.

"You will meet me at the temple of Isis tomorrow at sunrise. We have much to go over before the feast."

There was a tense pause. My first instinct was to say no and leave at once, but a part of me also wanted to know what she wanted to show me. She claimed to know the priest. What harm could there be in a little trip? I was getting bored staying only within the palace walls. What did I have to lose anyway?

"Yes ma'am," I answered

"Good. I will send a boat to pick to up." And with that, she turned and left the pavilion her hips swaying ever so slightly so that the jewelry tinkled as she walked towards the river. She suddenly turned back and look me in the eye.

"Keep your guard up. Not all is what it appears to be"

I stood confused. Why did everyone here speak in riddles?

Footsteps caught my attention.

"Natalie, sorry I am late. Official business kept me occupied longer than expected." I turned to see Nabnetur approaching with scrolls I hand.

"Today we work on Anatolian and Egyptian laws regarding owning property."

I nod and picked up a scroll and tried to decipher the characters on the page and of those around me. I knew the women had lied about Natnetur, but I what I didn't know was why.

I walked along the bank of the river, and the sun began to descend below its waters. Boats calmly drifted with the currents, their sails having been tied up for the evening. My thoughts drift to my family. I wonder if they will ever know what happened to me, or if they even know I am gone yet considering I am five thousand years away from their existence. I had pestered Nabnetur for any information he had about getting me back home. But all I got was a theory on the stars' alignment and what the gods fate for me was.

Fate. Was that suppose to make me feel better? I had entered a world where science and religion were one in the same, and I was just a pone their game some gods game.

"The elusive feline emerges from her din."

Snapped out of my thoughts, I turned my head toward the voice. The man I had seen fighting with Ramesses on my little adventure when I had first arrived was sitting on the ledge above me.

"You're quite a character," Adom continued as he jumped down to my level, "it's not often that they allow strangers into the place, let alone the inner circle."

I eye him quizzically. "You weren't by chance spying on me were you?"

"Me, never," he said with a fake look offense.

"Then what were you doing up there all aloof?"

Adom's eye grew serious, "Thinking about war, there is going to be one no matter what Pharaoh and his ministers think."

I stopped walking. "A war, with who?"

"Ah, alas my little one, that I can not tell you."

"Why not." I disliked being kept in the dark.

"Well, isn't obvious," Adom leaned in looking me in the eye, "you could be a spy for one of our enemies."

I search for my words. "I am not..."

Adom laughed, "Don't worry I am teasing. Anyway, it doesn't matter what I think, as long as Ramesses remains on your side you will be safe in the palace." And with that Adom turned around with a nod and heading deeper into the palace.