Chapter 10

*** I just want to say a quick thanks to my readers for your support. And now back to the story***

His father's ministers trailed behind him as Ramesses made my trek to the Great Hall for an audience. A messenger had arrived from the northern borders and requested a meeting due to the urgent nature of his news.

Ramesses's thoughts were interrupted by droning voices behind me.

"The ceremony will take place in two weeks' time when the moon is full," spoke one.

"And you must make sure to begin the proper rituals and prayers in order for your wedding to be blessed by the gods," another cut in.

"And the Pharaoh has asked to meet with you before to celebrations tonight," a third voice broke in.

They continue to rattle off more issues that he would personally have to see to before the day's end. But he would focus on those later.

The messenger from the north held special interest from him. Perhaps, he would be able to convince his father that action, aggressive action, must be taken to reinforce our power. Ramesses clenched his jaw in anticipation.

The massive doors were pulled open by the guards as he approached. Ramesses entered the hall that was full of ministers and scribes and took my seat next to my father.

"I am glad to see you are able to be on time for once," my father chided.

Expecting to hear his mother also comment on my unusual punctuality, Ramesses turned to face the slightly smaller seat next to the Pharaoh's.

It was empty.

"Where's the Queen?" he asked. It was unusual for his mother to miss any meetings in the Hall no matter the importance and seemingly unimportant.

"She had mother matters to attend to," Seti said absentmindedly.

"What other matters?" Ramesses asked not satisfied with the answer.

"She didn't say," Ramesses could tell by the sternness in his father's tone that he was done with this discussion.

Ramesses leaned back against the chair. When he became Pharaoh he would demand to be informed on any and all matters. He hated being kept in the dark.

Before Ramesses could fume more, the great doors to the Hall opened and the messenger approached the Pharaoh.

He bowed and looked up waiting for Seti to give him permission to speak.

Seti nodded.

"Greetings your majesty, a god among men. I bring less than good news form the north. Kadesh, as you know, has been reclaimed by the Hittites, however, they continue to encroach on our territories. Beruit has also fallen. In their wake, the Hittites pillage and destroy cities. What is to be done? Your people are suffering.

Silence followed. Rameseseslooked at my father, as Co-regent, he possessed more power than anyone in the Kingdom, besides the Pharaoh. He had no right to speak before his father. Regardless, Ramesses stood to face him, "We must take military action."

"Ramesses take your seat," Seti said firmly, "war is not always the best solution to a problem."

He kept going.

"If our enemies see that you are weak, what will stop them and others from also invading Egypt! You can not stand by an do nothing!"

Seti put his hand up to stop Ramesses his eyes burning with anger. Something Ramesses had only seen a few times. "This court is dismissed," Seti proclaimed loudly. No one moved. "EVERYONE OUT!" Seti shouted angrily.