Chapter 8

People hurried about in every direction carrying loads of fabrics, bouquets, and mounds of spices. The Fest was to take place in the city that surrounded the palace, and preparations had started weeks ago.

"And all the Priest and Priestess come too," Chion added. "There will be dancing, drinking, and performances." She sighed. "You're so lucky. Have I mentioned that? Imagine all the handsome men you will meet."

I was only half-listening to Chione.  My mind was focused on the matter of obtaining the amulet. Riana had told me that tonight would be the best time to find the piece.

"With all the excitement no one will notice your absences," Riana had looked deep in my eyes, "You must be quick though, there will still be guards roaming the hall."

"What do you think?" asked Chion.

"About what?"

Chion threw her arms up, "Honestly what would you possibly be more important than your outfit."

The lights of the temple complex chased away the all-consuming dark of night. I watched from an alcove as men and women, long skirts dripping with jewelry, made their way through the complex. As each one walked by, a wave of incense was carried my way. The smells combined with dancing lights was enough to make a person forget all their worries, and for a moment, I too felt at peace. But then I remember what Rania had told me.

"You must choose your time wisely. Not too early as the people will not have felt the effect of their jars of wine, but not so late that they will start heading back to the palace"

It was still much too early to being, so why not enjoy the festival. I stood up enjoying the sound my skirts made. Chione had attended to every detail with my outfit. A skit was filled out by a petticoat and gold cuffs that added sound and a flash of light when I moved.

I walked around the various temples where people were praying and honoring the dead. As I rounded a corner, I came to the center of the celebration.

Women and men danced to the strange-sounding instruments, performers blew fire found their mouths, and wine seemed to flow freely from glass to orifice. A man came up to me hold three glasses.

"You look much to sober. Allow me to fix that." As he pushed one of the glasses into my hands. I looked down at the glass and back at the scene around me.

When in Egypt, I thought and drank the whole glass. The wine was thick and warm and it went down my through.

The man laughed when I handed him back my glass, now empty, with a smile on my red-stained lips. And so began my night of dancing, lights, and wine. My glass was never empty, and I found myself glad to be in the company strangers.

I wasn't sure how much time had passed, but the moon appearing from behind a cloud reminded me of my mission. I tried to squeeze through the crowd; however, a lack of footing and my night of drinking were taking their toll, as I failed to escape the crowed. I felt myself being sucked back in.

A hand grab mine and pulled me free from the crowd. Finally able to breathe, I turned to thank my savior. A pair of pretty eyes surrounded by long black braids meet me.

"Are you alright?" The women asked.

"Yes, thank you. I hadn't realized how many people had gathered." I tried to steady my gaze and appear at least less drunk than I felt.

"It's quite all right. If women don't help other women then who would? Men? " she laughed.

I sighed with relief. "I'm Natalie by the way."