Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

“Princess Sophie! I’m so glad you’re home safe! Tell me, dear Princess, where have you been? Are you okay?”

Adeline shot the tailor a withering look and hissed, “Don’t bother her with so many questions!”

Wow, she’s sure being protective, or maybe just plain bitchy. Brooklyn inspected the tailor carefully. Something about him just didn’t seem right. He had a thin, tight smile, piercing blue eyes, and a wiry frame.

Does he know I’m not Princess Sophie? Shit! Okay, just keep it cool. You’ve gotta pretend to be the Princess and you better be convincing. Mustering up a snobby tone, Brooklyn responded, “It’s fine, Adeline, I don’t mind answering the tailor’s questions. But first, what shall I call you?”

“Ah, what a shame. You don’t remember me? I am Griff, the Royal Tailor, who has fitted you for every event since you were a baby.”

Crap! He’ll definitely know I’m not the Princess! What if I’m missing a birthmark or some type of scar he knows about? “Griff, it’s a pleasure to meet you, again.” Think! Damn it! Think! You need to get him out of here NOW!

“Princess Sophie,” Griff said, bowing deeply, “The pleasure is all mine.”

“To answer your questions, unfortunately, I don’t remember anything prior to waking up on my throne and seeing my dear father, the King.” Good. That sounds believable. Now, you need to get him out of here. Make an excuse. Raising her hand to her head, Brooklyn pretended to feel faint. “Oh, oh, I don’t feel so well.”

Adeline quickly pulled out the chair Griff was leaning on, causing him to lose his balance and almost fall. “Here, Princess Sophie, you must sit. Griff, excuse yourself. The Princess is not well.”

Oh, thank goodness! Plopping herself in the chair with as much class as possible, Brooklyn stammered, “Thank you, Adeline, for I’m not well, I must rest.”

Griff bowed and excused himself quickly.

Adeline smiled and gently put her hand on Brooklyn’s shoulder. “Yes, of course, Princess. It was silly to think you would be ready to be fitted for your gown tonight. After all, your royal ball is still two days away.”

“My royal what?”

Adeline gushed, “Oh, Princess Sophie, didn’t you know? The King is preparing a royal ball to celebrate your return. That’s why Griff was here tonight. He needs to fit you for a new gown. The King wants you to have the most beautiful dress in all of Necoh.”

A royal ball to celebrate my return? There’s no way I’m going to be able to avoid this fitting with Griff.

Suddenly, an idea popped into her head. “Ah, Adeline, as you know, I don’t remember Griff, or anyone, for that matter. But there is one thing. I just feel a bit funny, having a man fit me for a dress. Perhaps my amnesia has increased my modesty, but I would feel much better having a lady fit me for this gown. Perhaps Griff could help once my measurements have been taken?”

A strange look crossed Adeline’s face momentarily. It quickly disappeared and was replaced with a smile. “Of course, Princess Sophie. I will inform the King and send for Lenora. Shall I ask for her to come in the morning?”

“Yes, I would greatly appreciate that, Adeline. Thank you for being so kind to me.”

Adeline curtsied. “Princess, there is no need to thank me. I am just your humble servant.”

“Before I rest, could you please bring me something to eat? I can’t remember the last time I ate something.” Brooklyn chuckled. “I guess that’s one more thing to add to the list of things that I don’t remember.”