Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Braving the Swive River turned out to be just as terrifying as Ryder expected. Waiting until dusk and traveling caked in mud was helpful, but it didn’t stop the Nalun noticing them. Halfway across, one of its large tentacles wrapped around the front of their vessel and gave a sharp tug.

Cridifer and Pidifer’s eyes widened but they remained silent.

As the Nalun began to pull the front of the raft down into the swirling dark water, Ryder knew he had to take charge of the situation or they would all perish. Attempting to balance on the tipping vessel proved to be near impossible. But somehow, Ryder managed to unsheathe his sword.

The orvbas sensed his plan, covered their eyes, and clung to the wooden planks for all they were worth.

Ryder raised the gleaming blade above his head and began to hack at the tentacle gripping the front of the vessel.

The Nalun screeched and bubbles shot to the surface of the menacing river. More tentacles began to shoot through the water and wrapped themselves firmly around the vessel. 

“We’re going to die!” Cridifer and Pidifer screamed.

Ryder could sense the imminent danger. His mind flashed back to the hours he spent in the woods training with his father’s sword. Then, as if in some sort of trance, Ryder began to swing the blade through the air with a murderous vengeance gleaming in his eyes.

Black, tarry blood shot out of the Nalun’s severed tentacles, drenching Ryder and the orvbas.

Losing his balance on the vessel, Ryder leaned dangerously close to the water. Quickly, he shifted his weight. That’s when he heard the loud crack. Suddenly, the vessel began to split down the middle, leaving Ryder and Cridifer on one side and Pidifer on the other.

“Brother! No!” screamed Cridifer as he reached his hand out to grab Pidifer’s outstretched hand.

Ryder continued to hack away at the tentacles as the Nalun viciously attacked the vessel.

The orvbas desperately attempted to stay together and keep the cracked boat from separating into a hundred different pieces.

Eventually, the Nalun lost strength as Ryder severed tentacle after tentacle. Finally the attack completely subsided. Taking a deep breath Ryder looked down and discovered that Pidifer was missing.

“Cridifer! Where is your brother?”

“He went overboard. I reached out for him, but he went downstream too quickly,” sobbed Cridifer. 

“Can he swim?”

“Yes, of course, all orvba can swim, but how will he ever survive the Swive? This is terrible!”

“Okay, Cridifer,” Ryder said. “I know you’re upset right now, but I need your help. We need to get to shore right now. Once we’re there, I promise we’ll look for your brother!”