Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven  

A light breeze rustled the leaves and pushed cool air through the makeshift village inhabited by the Tribe of Topher.

As dusk crept in, Brooklyn sat on a tree stump near a delightfully warm fire. Last night sure was strange.

Upon arriving last night, Albie had taken great care to introduce Brooklyn to each of the members of the Tribe of Topher. Many had the same reaction as Albie and initially referred to her as Princess Sophie. Even though she corrected them, she found herself being referred to as Sophie throughout the rest of the evening.

She shifted restlessly and fidgeted nervously. Should I leave to try and find Ryder? Or should I try to explain to Albie why I’m even in Necoh in the first place? Thoughts continuously flooded her mind, but she wasn’t able to make a decision one way or another, so she just sat by the fire and thought about her predicament.

Interrupting her thoughts, one of Albie’s tribesmen, Laro, approached her. “Um, Soph, I mean Brooklyn, would you like to see something really special?”

I guess a little break from all of this thinking wouldn’t be a bad thing. “Sure, that would be lovely, Laro.”

“Necoh is full of amazing plants and this is one of the most impressive specimens!”

Tall grass lightly brushed against her face. It reminded her of when she was a little girl and her family went camping. Those were the good old days. My mom and dad still loved each other. I didn’t have to worry about Kai and Parker messing around behind my back. Sighing, she continued to follow Laro through the tall grass as the sun began to sink in the sky.

“Hey, Laro, are we almost there?”

“Yes, my dear, we’re getting close.”

He should have warned me it would be such a hike! It feels like we’ve been walking for half an hour, maybe more. Speaking of which, I wonder how they tell time here? Is it the same as it is at home? I better not ask… that will definitely give away that I’m not from Necoh!

“It’s just ahead now, dear. I can see the field ahead of us.”

I hope Albie isn’t worried that I’m gone. I should have told him before I just got up and left.

“Ah, there it is,” said Laro. 

Straining her eyes, she thought she could make out pockets of large, colorful flowers a few feet ahead.

Laro bent down to pick a vibrant orange flower that was so bright it literally glowed in the dimming light. “Take a smell of this, So—, I mean, Brooklyn. It’s one of the most divine smells you’ll ever inhale!”

Breathing deeply, Brooklyn’s nose felt like it was in paradise! This is heavenly!