Chapter 8: getting used to it all

"And done!". Finally I had finished my letter addressed to my uncle. In the week and a half that I had been at school I had not once sent him a letter and I had decided that after breakfast this morning that id write him one. Not much had happened expect for Harry's out burst on the first day, but I was sure he would want to hear about that and the professor behind it.
"Even on our day off your still working".
Rolling my green eyes as Leo crossed his legs and sat beside me, I licked the enovlpe and sealed it shut. Then stuffed it in my bag, hoping to mail it later today.
"Its not work". I corrected him. Leo smirked.
"Then what is it? A love letter?"
"NO!". Blushing I shook my head at him.
"I'm kidding Cassie".
"I'm sure".
Leo laughed. "Anyways have you seen Luna around?"
I shook my head. "Not since she went to visit the Thestrals".
"I still don't get it. How can Luna and Harry see them, but not me or you-"
"I can see them". I said trying not to sound so upset.
Leo raised an eyebrow at me.
"You can?"
I slowly nodded my head.
"How?"
"Thestrals can only be seen by those who have seen death..."
Leo started to open his mouth but as he took a second glance at me he had shut it back up. It was no secret that Harry had witnessed both his parents and I was pretty sure that he already knew about Luna seeing her mum die, but me. Well like Harry, I too witnessed them being killed before my very eyes. It took a heavy tole on me for years. There were still times now that I would find myself crying over there deaths. It had been years, but I still had not gotten over it.
"Oh I see".
"My parents was the ones who I saw die".
Leo shook his head and wrapped his arm around my shoulder. Then he pulled me closer to him.
"I'm sorry, Cassie. I shouldn't have brought it up".
"Its alright. Everyone loses people they love".
"Yeah, but they shouldn't watch someone they love die. That's just down right cruel".

                    Classes resumed as normal a few days after our short two days off, which didn't seem to bother me in the slightest. It gave me more time to work on my potion skills while also keeping me busy with work. As I was entering the great hall I noticed that I was being flagged down by three familiar faces. Smiling over at the troublesome three I brushed off my skirt and nodded right for them. I took the seat next to Harry as Hermonie slid her textbook over to me.
"This is ridicouls!" she exclaimed. Ron nodded as he stuffed his face with more lunch items.
"agreed". I said.
"She's treating us as if we were children. Which we are not!". Hermonie snapped.
"She's not the only one".
I sighed. "I mean the Ministry. They appointed her as a professor here. Sure Dumbledore had the final say, but even still".
All three of them exchanged a look.
"Cassie, your brilliant". Harry exclaimed causing me to blush.
"Well I just-"
"Your right, Cassie. I mean how does the Ministry expect us to practice defense spells if we are not learning them?"
"They don't". Harry stated firm. He was right. Based on how they were blindly ignoring Harry's statement about the dark lord being back it was clear that they wanted us out of the lop.
"They don't want us doing any defensive spells, right?". I said glancing over at Harry. He nodded.
"Bloody hell, mate". Ron gasped.
"That's outrageous". Hermonie exclaimed taking her book back. "Something has to be done about this".
Glancing down at Harry's scarred hand I couldn't help but wonder what was her whole end goal. What was the Ministry's whole goal here with not wanting us to practice defensive spells? If an attack was coming then we needed to protect ourselves from it.
"But what?" Ron asked anyone who was willing to answer.
"I-I don't know". She replied.

    "Have you heard anything from your uncle yet?" Harry asked me as we both walked off to our next class together. I shook my head, tossing my waves around.
"No not yet". I said disappointed. "I hope to soon though. I wrote to him once, but never heard anything back".
"Im sure he'll write you when he can".
"I hope so. So, have you written to Sirius?"
Harry nodded his head as we rounded the corner.
"I have".
"Did he write back?"
Smiling, Harry nodded his head.
"That's good to hear. I hope he's doing well".
"He is".
Smiling I put my hands behind my back. "That's good to hear".
"He mentioned that he's excited to see us soon for Christmas". Harry added.
It had been such a long time since I had spent Christmas with anyone. I really did miss it.
"Are you spending Christmas with us, Cassie?". Harry asked me. "The order I mean".
Spotting in my tracks I shrugged my shoulders. Honestly I really didn't know. I mean if I was being honest being able to spend Christmas with my uncle, Sirius and the rest of the order sounded like a great time.
"I-I don't really know".
Harry placed his hand on my shoulder. "You should"
"You think?"
Harry grinned. "Everyone would be thrilled to have you there". Feeling my cheeks slowly heat up I smiled and nodded my head.
"Then yeah I guess ill go".
"Brillant".