7

When I first woke up the next morning, I didn't open my eyes. I knew from light pressing against my eyelids, begging me to get up, that it was the next day. Griffin still had his arm wrapped around my waist, pinning me down. Muted conversation seeped under the door from the cadets milling around outside. It wasn't a light conversation, full of boasting and competition. It was quieter, softer, and nervous.

    I slowly cracked open my eyes. What I wouldn't give for just ten more minutes. I was inches from Griffin's face. He looks so peaceful when he sleeps and it's like all time stands still. Watching him breathe in and out calmed my already racing heart. In a couple of seconds, I would lose his touch. In a couple of hours, I would lose him.

     "Griffin," I whispered as quietly as I could, hoping he won't hear me.

     "What?" Damn, too loud.

     "It's time to get up," it came out sounding like a death sentence.

     He grimaced without opening his eyes. Wrinkles spread from the corners of his eyes to his forehead and down to his mouth. Then he sighed and sat up rubbing his eyes. The pressure around my waist disappeared and instantly the butterflies in my stomach started flapping frantically.

     I swung my legs out of bed, hissing when they hit the cold floor. The cold poked at my feet as I walked to the small closet. It seemed to laugh at my mild discomfort. Griffin and I didn't speak when I threw him a change of clothes. Not long after we started sleeping in each other's rooms, we'd started keeping a change of each other's clothes as well. It saved time as well as questions.

     We got dressed in silence. Nervous energy ran through the room. Up and down the walls. Around on the floor and up through Griffin and I.

     I kept glancing at Earth every few seconds. I'd be down there in a matter of hours. So would Griffin. So would the other thirteen cadets.

     Griffin spoke first, breaking the butterfly-filled silence.

     "I...uh," he cleared his throat and tried again. "I just want to say thank you. Thank you for being my best friend out here and I'm going to miss you even if I can't remember you."

     He took a step forward until we're only a few inches apart.

     "I want to thank you too," I looked up at him. "I honestly don't know what I would have done without you here. You've managed to keep me sane this far from home and I'll always be grateful for that."

     Despite the worry written all over his face, Griffin smiled and it's not forced like it's been the past couple of days. It's a real, genuine smile. The kind you remember and the kind that makes you feel warm inside.

      Then I threw myself into him. His arms wrapped around me in a hug. I felt him take a deep breath, hold it, then he released it. I squeezed him like I could keep him from leaving and try to eliminate all the space between us. It's desperate wishful thinking I know, but if Griffin asked me to leave right now and run away, I would.

     "I love you, Griff," I choked out.

     Griffin's face was buried in my hair but I could still hear him.

     "I love you too Nova."

     It's all I could do to not break down right then and there. Griffin untangled himself from me and held me at arm's length. Without saying anything, he wiped the tears that have fallen down my face.

     "Hey don't cry," he smiled just slightly. "It's only six months."

     I choking laughed, "Yeah, it's only six months."