Chapter 4: A Different Arrangement

Start from the beginning

"Well, I'm having nightmares about my mother and someone tried to kill Padme last night but was killed before we could find anything out, how well do you think I slept last night?"

Zelina held her hands up. "Force, I was just asking Ani..."

Anakin smirked. "Relax Zee, I'm messing with you."

"Not fair."

Anakin laughed for a moment before he sobered. "Though really, I didn't sleep that well. Like I told Obi-Wan, I hardly get any sleep these days..."

"Maybe sharing a room with someone will help? I mean, that way if you're having a nightmare you have someone to wake you up before it can get too bad...maybe we'll share a room when we get to Naboo: it's not like we haven't before."

Anakin nodded. "Sure, I'll try anything at this rate."

Zelina grinned, thumping him on the back. "Good, than I guess we're roommates as soon as we get to Naboo: just like old times."

Anakin chuckled. "Don't make me regret it."

Zelina feigned offense. "Now why would you say that? I'd never do such a thing!"

Anakin rolled his eyes. "Sure Zee, sure..."

The rest of the trip was spent in comfortable silence until they arrived at the Senate Building. Zelina fell into step behind Anakin, twirling her Padawan braid like she used to when she was little and had first gotten it. It had become a habit of hers whenever she was nervous.

"How about you do the talking here, huh Ani?"

Anakin rolled his eyes. "I don't see what your problem is: there's nothing wrong with the Chancellor. He's a great guy."

"It's just...he creeps me out...I get a bad feeling whenever I'm around the guy..."

A muscle twitched in Anakin's jaw and Zelina sighed. "Let's just not talk about it right now."

"Alright," he said a little stiffly. Thankfully, the awkward silence didn't last long. They were soon standing right outside the door, and Zelina's attention shifted from being upset that Anakin was upset with her to being annoyed at the fact she was about to be stuck in the same room as Palpatine. Hopefully this would be a quick visit.

She stayed back for a while, letting Anakin explain the situation to Palpatine himself. The less she had to talk to the man, the better. Whenever they did talk, they were usually on opposite grounds. Luckily none of those conversations had become an argument...yet.

"I will talk with her...Senator Amidala will not refuse and executive order. I know her well enough to assure you of that," Palpatine told Anakin. Zelina stared aimlessly out the window, watching the speeders pass by as the two talked.

"Thank you your Excellency," Anakin said humbly.

"And so they've finally given you an assignment?" Palpatine asked. Anakin nodded a little while off to the side, Zelina cocked her head, finally paying attention to the conversation. "Your patience has paid off."

"Your guidance more than my patience," Anakin told him.

Zelina shot Anakin a look, though both of them missed it. She shook her head with a sigh. Her friend could be brilliant, but sometimes...

If you have anyone's guidance to thank, it's Obi-Wan's and some days Qui-Gon's...not a creepy politician...

The two started to move away from the window, and Zelina sighed, content with being invisible to the two. The most attention Palpatine had given her was a 'Good day' that was actually directed towards both of them.