6 - Unspoken Intentions

Start from the beginning

By the way, the usual Lily was always proper until we young ones were excused, so nothing is off yet. The head knight wouldn't notice the difference.

"Your journey was quite pleasant, Lady Lily. It is good to see you well, you look as extravagant as always." The crown prince smiles at me with this almost sweet looking smile, but when you know his inner thoughts it's quite clear it's an insult. I quietly grit my teeth and keep up a smile.

"I can imagine you are thirsty after your journey, tea should be ready in the adjourning room," I offer politely, but to him it probably sounds like a threat in return for his slight. To prove my point he twitches. The crown prince Alstair glances to my father and the head knight. He clearly does not want to go, but the head knight nods satisfied with the offer. Prince Alstair is probably worried I will cling to him, but the head knight likely needs to talk with my father privately.

"... A cup would be good," the crown prince responds with that flawless polite smile of his, though, to my pleasure it seems a bit strained.

---*---

We relocate to the adjourning room where the three boys seat themselves on the couch on one side, and I alone on the other.

A few minutes pass quietly without any of us talking. All of us simply drink our tea in silence. The usual Lily would be chattering non-stop at this point, trying to seat herself near the prince as well. Considering that, I guess it makes sense why brother took the other spot near the prince. He's protecting our family's honor, not that there is a need for him to worry about that anymore of course.

While it may seem odd for Lily to suddenly have no interest, I simply cannot keep up the act even if I wanted. I'd be grimacing and likely end up looking disgusted while trying to grab his arm.

For now my goal is simple. I'll just drink tea with them until they feel it appropriate to leave. To achieve this goal, awkward silence is a brilliant weapon. I'll choke them out with awkward silence, then finish and go back up and change out of this... pink monstrosity. This tense atmosphere is brilliant though. In my previous life this was the semi-permanent situation during winter. Imagine it, being locked with potential enemies in a single mansion for three months, every year. Just thinking about it makes me shiver. Though, with this awkwardness being the goal I am quite comfortable in it.

"Eric, it appears your sister is still unwell, she's acting like a proper lady while Alstair is here." Lionel ruins the otherwise perfectly awkward silence with a slight. I take another sip of tea and glance to Eric who is watching me like a hawk. For a moment I wonder if my pleading yesterday had any effect.

I was slightly surprised though, Lionel usually just glared at me from the crown prince's side. He usually doesn't go at Lily like this. To think he would be the one having the biggest problem with the awkward silence. I let out a soft sigh, and turn my attention to the sadist. I cannot let him walk over me either, so I need to retort. Let's see, something polite...

"I am fine, Lionel, there is no need for your worry. I've simply fallen out of love with the crown prince." I end up dropping this on him while brushing a few strands of my blue hair behind my ear. I decide to just go for the truth, though it is a bit more complex that that.

"More like you're trying to make him desperate to have you back." Lionel growls out in at my words as he leans back into the couch behind him with crossed arms. He doesn't believe a word I'm saying. Though, had I been Lily then he probably would have been right. The obsession Lily has with the crown prince could have led her to do that.

"You really don't believe me, do you?" I gently cup my cheek with a silky hand and then turn my eyes to Alstair. He looks a bit worried as he looks between us, but for a moment I feel like I can see disdain in his eyes... I hesitate for a moment. Perhaps I could widen the gap between us and allow a peaceful break of our engagement when time comes... but I'd have to do it with thought.