{Twenty} On My Own

Start from the beginning

I swallowed any words that tried to force their way out and grabbed the Advil from the corner of the night stand, setting it beside a water bottle. I scribbled down my number and address on a piece of paper with the note to call me first thing in the morning and set it beside it, feeling my chest tightening as I listened to her continuously whisper that she wanted it to end.

After quickly checking the apartment for anything she could hurt herself with, I slipped out and shut the door as gently and quietly as possible, standing out in the cold, staring at the dark street with tears pooling in my own eyes, blurring my vision.

I shook my head to myself, walking back toward the car. I grabbed the empty bottle of vodka and tossed it into the trash bin. Once I was sure the car was clean, I shut the door and pulled my phone from my pocket. I scrolled through my contacts repeatedly, tears blurring my vision once more.

I stared at Colton's contact for a while before finally hitting it and bringing the phone to my ear.

"Hello." I whispered when he picked up on the third ring.

I heard his breath hitch in his throat. "Avery? Are you okay?"

"I need you."

*

I lifted my head the moment I heard the sound of the gravel along the deserted road crunching under the tires of Colton's truck. I expected him to pull up beside me and roll the window down as he had for as long as I could remember. Instead, he hopped out of the car, leaving it running in front of me.

"Avery, hey." He crouched in front of me. "What are you doing here? Are you okay?"

My heart wanted no more than to tell him everything. My head left every word unspoken.

"Ave?" Colton hesitated for a moment before he touched his hand to my right shoulder. I rose quickly, wanting desperately for his hand to fall to his side and him to take the hint and understand I wanted him to keep his distance. Of course, Colton didn't get the hint and took my chin between his index finger and thumb and turned my head so I was looking into his haunting blue eyes. The same thing Kevin had done, and it started an uneasy knot to form in my stomach.

"Avery Spencer." He breathed my name quietly.

In that moment, all the weight finally caused the hairline fracture in my exterior to shatter and I collapsed. Suddenly I didn't care that I was in a man's arms as I would of if I were sane. I didn't care that I was falling apart in Colton Hunter's arms. And for the first time in months, the second his arms wrapped around my waist, I felt a sense of comfort and protection.

"It's okay, Ave." He whispered, a tremble in his own voice. "I'm here."

I grasped his hoodie tightly in my fist. "It's never going to get better."

"What happened?"

I tried to pull away, but Colton opened his car door and gave me a gentle push toward the car before I could. I got in, avoiding eye contact as he dropped my hand and shut the door. I watched in silence as he crept around the front of his truck and climbed in beside me.

I rested my head against the cold glass window pane as he started down the street, watching as everything became a blur.

It wasn't until we were about halfway home that it started.

"Colton." I breathed, my hand reaching for the door handle. He glanced quickly in my direction, worry evident in every inch of his expression.

I could feel my breathing starting to hitch in my throat as my heart started beating rapidly against my ribcage.

"Avery." I could hear Colton's words, but they sounded as if he were a million miles away.

"It's never going to get better." I whimpered, starting to hyperventilate. I felt the car jolt to a sudden stop, Colton shifting his entire body in my direction.

"Of course it does, Avery. Maybe not now, maybe not next year, but it's going to get better. Little by little time will heal the wound." He tried to reassure, but I only stared at his blurred image in front of me.

"I don't know what to do." I cried, clawing at my chest as if it would help in stopping my hyperventilating. "I can't. . . I can't do it. I can't live every day or the rest of my life like this. Not being able to breathe, to not sleep, or be able to keep anything down. I can't, Colton."

"Ave, the first step is-" Colton started.

"No." I cried. "I can't even tell anyone who it is. I can't say the name. I can't even think it without the memories and flashes of that night coming back."

Colton looked away. "It'll be okay, Avery."

I could tell by his expression that he didn't even believe his own words.

"He didn't just rape me, Colton." I spat. "He took me, he took Avery. Every time I close my eyes I see him, I feel him. And the worst part? There's absolutely nothing I can do to escape the confinement of my own thoughts and mind."

****AN****

Hey guys! Hope you enjoyed! Hope you all had a great Christmas/Holiday!

Let me know what you think/thought!

~ChasingMadness24