"I'm sorry but I'm not wearing my ring. What if they suspect something is off?" Emery said, her voice laden with anxiousness.

She had every intention of wearing her ring as she always does when leaving the house—just to avoid rumors. But then her Aunt's call had come through while she was getting ready and she had totally forgotten to put it on afterward.

"Don't worry, we will not be stopping to talk to any of them." Besides he had a better one, Billion touched his pants pocket discreetly to make sure it was still there.

"I'm not sure we'll be able to dodge the camera's though so just give them that beautiful smile," he grinned, his eyes twinkling with mischief.

Emery could not control her smile. True to his words, he did not answer any question when they walked down the red carpet. He just held her by his side and placed a soft kiss on her lips as the camera's flashed a thousand times.

The banqueting hall was filled with the most finest elites from Manhattan but Billion and Emery snatched the spotlight the moment they walked into the ballroom.

Even the chatter and clink of champagne glasses, permeating the ginormous ballroom, seemed to have subdued upon entry.

Noticing how Emery stiffened at the attention, Billion drew her gently to his side and gave her a reassuring smile.

"I know this is too soon, but I hope you don't mind meeting my family?" he queried.

Emery did a quick scan of where Ashley and a couple of unfamiliar faces stood, all of them looking genteel. Her stomach knotted, her anxiousness no doubt evident when she glanced back at Billion.

Billion saw the uncertainty in her eyes but it was fleeting.

"I'd love to," she said firmly.

Billion smiled and led her to the said group. His mother was the first to spot them and her smile seemed to stretch on for miles upon seeing the two.

"Good evening." Billion's greeting gained the attention of the small group.

"Miles. I'm so glad you could make it," Rebecca enthused.

"Happy birthday, Becca," Billion accepted her hug. "this is from Emery and I." he handed her a small wrapped box.

"Happy birthday, Rebecca," Emery said.

"Thanks, Emery. I'm so glad you came. Thank you guys so much," Rebecca gushed.

Knowing Billion had to patronize her because she came barehanded, Emery glanced down at her purse out of embarrassment. If only she had the time to grabbed one.

"Well, aren't you going to introduce your date?" Ashely questioned with a soft smile.

Billion grunted. "Em, this is my mom, Ashely, and that's my brother Ashton and his wife Rebecca." he pointed to the petite woman of the two brunettes "and this is Eugenia, Lewis's wife, and my favorite cousin." he pointed to the other lady who in turn raised her wine glass in their direction. "Guys, meet my girlfriend, Emery."

Baby steps. Billion told himself.

His girlfriend?!

"Hi. Pleasure meeting you all." The ladies responded cordially.

"From fiance to girlfriend? What did we miss?" Ashton mirth with his gaze trained on Emery.

Emery felt Billion's hold on her waist tighten as he stared back at his brother in displeasure. Ashley stepped in on cue before the birthday party could be turned into a boxing arena.