Chapter 13 - Halloween

On Halloween morning, I woke to the bizarre smell of pumpkins in the corridors. In Charms, Professor Flitwick announced that we were ready to start making objects fly. I had been dying to do that ever since he made Neville's toad zoom around the classroom.

Professor Flitwick put us all into pairs, and I was with Terry. Harry was with Seamus, and Ron was with Hermione.

The pair didn't seem too happy with this arrangement, something that Terry and I giggled about for the rest of the class. Hermione hadn't been speaking to any of us.

"Now, don't forget that nice wrist movement we've been practising!" Professor Flitwick squeaked, who was perched on top of his stack of books as usual. "Swish and flick, remember, swish and flick. And saying the words properly is important too - never forget Wizard Baruffio, who said 's' instead of 'f' and found himself on the floor with a buffalo on his chest."

"Well, that must have been pretty bizarre." I commented to Terry, sniggering, and he fell off his chair, letting out peals of laughter.

It wasn't that hard. But I think that Hermione and I were the only ones that got it. Terry kept getting distracted with all the 'Swish-and-Flick' jokes we were making. Seamus, at the next table, got so impatient that he prodded the feather he had that he was supposed to be sending skywards with his wand and set fire to it. Harry and I had to put it out with our hats.

Ron, at another table, wasn't having any luck at all.

"Wingardium Leviosa!" He was always shouting, waving his long arms like a windmill.

"You're saying it wrong!" Hermione snapped. "It's Wing-GAR-dium Levi-O-sa, make the 'gar' nice and long."

"You do it, then, if you're so clever." Ron snarled.

Hermione rolled up the sleeves of her gown, flicked her wand and said, "Wingardium Leviosa!" at the same time my feather decided to rise. Our feathers hovered about four feet in the air above us, and Hermione and I grinned at each other.

"Oh, well done!" Professor Flitwick cried, clapping. "Look here, everyone, Miss Potter and Miss Granger have done it!"

Ron was in a very bad mood by the end of the class.

"It's no wonder nobody can stand her." Ron said to Harry and me and the end of class. "She's a nightmare, honestly."

"No she isn't!" I said, as someone pushed past Harry. It was Hermione. I caught a glimpse of her face - and I was startled to see that she was in tears.

"I think she heard you." Harry said. He was also gazing after her with an expression that told me that he'd seen her face too.

"Well, no shit!" I said. I turned to Ron. "How could you be so insensitive! Now look what you've done!"

Ron looked uncomfortable. "Well, she must've noticed she's got no friends." I heard him mutter to Harry as I charged after Hermione.

It tore my heart into shreds to see Hermione cry. That was my one and only weakness, aside from loved ones and friends. People who are weaker than me, or showing weakness. I don't like it, and I try everything in my power to stop it.

I followed her to a girl's bathroom. I met Lavender and Parvati on the way.

"Hermione's crying." I told them quietly.

We entered the bathroom. I heard sobbing coming from the end cubicle. "Hermione." I sighed, walking over to it.

"Are you okay, Hermione?" Lavender asked softly.

More sobbing.

"Hermione, what's wrong?" Parvati whispered.

A choked sob. "Leave me alone!"