Chapter 19 - Rescue

Start from the beginning

“I’ve seen the way you die. Why else do you think I was laughing?”

“She’s a liar, Merric. KILL her!” Joanie shouted.

“You know I’m telling the truth,” Luna said to him. “So you can make threats, but I’m not dying today.”

“Bullshit!” He raised his hand but paused right before striking. Luna grinned.

“Kill her, Merric!” Joanie screamed. “She murdered Alexander.”

“I’m NOT dying today!” Luna roared and sprang to her feet.

With a quick shake of her wrists, the daggers slid out again, and she swiped at Joanie, creating two deep gashes across her abdomen. The Hounds stepped back, forming a circle as if a catfight had just begun. Joanie lunged with her knife in hand, but Luna sidestepped in time and took another swipe, this time cutting Joanie’s arms. Their dance continued as Joanie thrust her knife, and Luna dodged while finding opportunities to stab her.

Slide, stab. 

Slide, stab. 

Slide, dodge. 

Stab, stab, stab.

“Finish her!” a Hound shouted. “Give us a good show.” 

When Joanie charged for her again, Luna sidestepped and swept her legs, forcing the woman to her knees. As crimson rivulets trickled down her arms and mixed with the earth, The Hounds chanted for Luna to give the final blow. She circled Joanie, stood behind her, and yanked her head by the hair.

“It was nice meeting you,” Luna hissed, stabbing Joanie’s throat. She stepped back, letting her body fall, and pointed the bloody knife at The Hounds. “I’ve seen how you die, but I’ll give you a head start. Then, I’m coming for you.”

All eyes shifted to Merric as a breeze rippled across the surface of the pool, and the loose strands of Luna’s hair fluttered. Merric glared, his fists flexing at his side, as if deciding to believe her or not, but everything became silent as gunfire invaded the camp. Birds scattered from the electrical wires, and his eyes followed them until locking on the men running down the steep hill. A sharp sound zipped through the air, and next to him, a Hound collapsed with a curl of smoke escaping his skull.

“Take cover,” Merric shouted and took off running for the trailers.

As Luna looked around for her backup, she spotted Jasper and Abraham charging through the front entrance. Hounds dropped like flies as they sprayed them with bullets—not hesitating for a second as they cleared the path to get to her.

“Come on!” Jasper shouted, extending his hand to her.

“What took you so long!”

“We ran into some trouble...” he replied, and Luna noticed the blood trickling down his temple.

“You’re hurt!”

“Had a run-in with Hounds were patrolling the area. No big deal.”

“Come on, let’s move!” Abraham shouted, waving them on.

“We need to catch those men.” Luna pointed to The Hounds escaping. “I promised them death.”

Together, they took off in a sprint with their sights locked on the Hounds.

∆∆∆

Explosive gunfire surrounded the trailers as Gunner and Coyote snuck between them, looking for Corbin and Clara. As they approached a corner, Gunner paused and signaled for Coyote to wait.