Chapter 12 - Ripples

Start from the beginning

"Jamie is at the door."

"Oh? I wasn't expecting him." She tightened her robe and weaved past him as they both set off down the hallway, but she paused in front of the spare room. "How's the patient?"

"Still out of it, but he's a tough old man and Lupe worked a miracle with his wound," Jasper answered, his eyes avoiding Corbin's. "Guess we learned our lesson about doing drunk shooting contests."

"Yeah, a stupid lesson that nearly killed your father! Who's idea was it to play target practice while drunk?"

"Not sure." Jasper shrugged. "Last night is fuzzy."

"Ugh! I can't believe you guys," Clara huffed and headed for the stairs. "And one of you go make coffee before I become more upset."

"Corbin, care to join me in the kitchen?" Jasper asked.

Moments later, they stood there waiting for the coffee to brew, as an albatross of confusion settled onto Corbin's shoulders. What kind of game was Luna playing? Did their kiss from the night before mean nothing? For a while, only the aroma of coffee and the sound of it percolating existed in the kitchen until words began tumbling from Jasper's mouth.

"It's not what you think."

"You've said that already." Corbin took a seat.

"Archibald isn't my actual father."

"I know."

Jasper's brows pushed together as he leaned against the counter. "Luna and I did nothing wrong."

"Listen, man, do I think it's weird? Yes, but that's your business, not mine."

"But you like her, I can tell, and part of me thinks she's fond of you too."

"Well, she didn't kiss me the way I saw her kiss you."

Jasper straightened his posture and cleared his throat. "You kissed Luna? When?"

"Last night at the party." Corbin shook his head. "She was drunk. It meant nothing."

The coffee machine gurgled, depositing the last drops of brown liquid into the glass carafe, and Corbin scooted his chair out with a screech. "I'll let Clara know it's ready."

As soon as he exited the kitchen, he pinched the bridge of his nose and blew out a breath. Of course, he'd lose Luna to Jasper. Relationships were often temporary in his life, so this wasn't any different. When he walked into the living room, his thoughts dissolved at the tears streaming down Clara's face.

She glanced at him when she heard his steps. "They found our neighbor, Gregory, dead this morning. It was suicide."

"I'm so sorry, Clara." Corbin swallowed, but he noticed the balled fists on her lap as her eyes narrowed at him.

Dodging her glare, he began rubbing his forehead, but the sunlight shining through the open front door blinked in his peripheral vision, catching his attention. A tall, bulky shape knocked on the storm door, but it was impossible to recognize who it was, thanks to the blinding light. Was it a Hound? Coldness drenched him like ice-water.

"What's wrong?" Clara asked and followed his gaze to the door, but sprang to her feet. "Coyote, you're here!"

"Sister," he said, opening the storm door and drawing her into his arms. When he kissed the top of her head, he did a double-take as his hawk-like grey eyes spotted Corbin. "Wait a second! Am I supposed to believe this strapping young man is the same pipsqueak who followed you around his grandfather's property?"

"It is!" Clara smiled, wiping her eyes.

"Well then, come here!" Coyote walked forward with arms out, doubling his size in the bear-fur coat he wore.