Chapter 12 - Ripples

Soft tapping woke Corbin from his sleep where he lay on the pullout couch in Gunner and Clara's living room. Daylight cast warm rays through the velvet drapes while he rubbed his eyes, trying to recall how he got there? He remembered entering the laundry room to grab more towels for Gunner's aunt but found Abraham covered in blood, fastening ties on a woman being held captive.

Who was she? And did Abraham knock him out? He rubbed his jaw, feeling its tenderness.

Another tap forced him to pause from reflecting over the night and roll to his feet.

"Who is it?" He inched close to the door.

"Jamie, from up the road."

"Just a sec." Corbin glanced around for a weapon, but then chuckled. The elderly man was frail, with stringy muscles, and couldn't hurt a fly. He opened the door and shivered as the cold mountain wind swept past him. "Looking for Clara?"

"Yes, I'm afraid I've got sad news to share," he replied, stroking a tabby cat whose fur had seen better days.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, our neighbor Gregory went on a bender last night. He was carrying on about his estranged wife Annabeth and looks like he killed himself after Carl drove him home. Carl is torn up about it and thinks it's his fault."

"Oh..."

"Sad news, but I figured Clara might want to know since she's supposed to fix his broken water pump next week."

"Ok, I'll go get her."

Turning on his heels, every hair on Corbin's body stood at attention as fear struck him like a lightning bolt. Did Jamie suspect something? He climbed the stairs two steps at a time, determined to alert Clara, but when he passed the ajar door to the spare room he paused. Jasper was whispering to Luna, so he inched closer to have a listen. They stood next to the bed where Archibald slept with an IV drip, as Jasper promised her everything would be ok.

Corbin stepped back, ready to continue down the hall, but when Jasper brushed the hair from Luna's tear-filled eyes, he paused again. Something about the gesture, and how they stared at each other, sent a twitch up his spine. His eyes widened when Jasper leaned in slowly, and grazed her lips. When he pulled away, Luna's surprised expression spread like an ink drop in water. For a moment, they stared at each other, but the hunger in her gaze intensified. She slapped her hand around Jasper's neck and yanked him down to her level, crushing her mouth against his.

A wave of jealousy twisted Corbin's fists at his sides, so he backed away. Shaking his head, he spun to proceed down the hallway, but tripped over his feet, and slammed into the wall behind him. When he landed flat on his bottom, Jasper and Luna rushed from the room.

"Are you alright?" Luna asked, her lips flush from kissing.

"Fine," Corbin said through his teeth.

"Listen, whatever you saw, it's not what you think," Jasper blurted.

"And what do you think I think?"

"She... I..." Jasper stumbled over his words.

Corbin waved his hands in a criss-cross with a grimace. "I don't have time for this."

Rising, he dusted off his pants and headed for the master bedroom. After a few knocks, Clara's bare feet began slapping against the hardwood floor and she opened the door with a yawn.

"Good morning," she greeted, her hair in a wavy mess of knots. Behind her, Gunner slept naked on his belly with a sheet barely covering his bottom. Clara grinned and blocked Corbin's view. "What's up?"