Chapter 1: Captain Enya

Zuko always hated fancy ceremonies and banquets, but I loved them. I loved dressing up, looking regal, having people come and bow before us and pledge their honor, beg forgiveness, or- best of all- offer gifts. 

"Is this almost over?" my brother asked grumpily. "I'm tired."

"Just a little longer, darling," our mother said, patting his head affectionately. "Some very esteemed guests are about to join us soon, and you need to be here."

"Who?" 

"A captain in the Fire Nation fleet."

"A captain?" I scoffed, picking at some roast pig. "Why is the royal family's time being wasted on such a low-ranking officer?"

"She may only be a captain, but she's one of the fiercest warriors on the sea and an incredibly gifted firebender. And she accomplished all that before her twentieth birthday." She looked past Zuko at me, smiling softly. "You could learn a lot from her, Azula."

I rolled my eyes, not responding. What could I learn from a commoner?

The performers stopped their tumbling when a bugle-horn cut through the air, announcing the arrival of these so-called 'esteemed' guests. I sat up higher in my seat, watching the way people scurried out of the path of the official presenters, eyes glued to someone just out of my line of sight. Usually, people didn't show that level of reverence for an admiral, let alone a captain.

"Returning home from her victory in the Coastal Kingdom of Doh Maiee, where she obliterated Earth Kingdom forces and burned the usurper castles to the ground, we humbly present to the Firelord and his family, Captain Enya, and her First and Second Lieutenant, Caddock and Daiz." 

He moved to the side and allowed the three soldiers to step forward, but they dropped to their knees and put their heads on the floor in a devout bow before I could get a good look at their faces. 

"Captain Enya is a graduate of the Fire Nation Institute, top of her class, and still the only student to ever make it through her stay undefeated in single combat. Upon joining the ranks of armed forces under Admiral Kun-Lu, she quickly rose to prominence as a cunning and merciless warrior. She led the siege on the Kuhn Province, killed the fearsome Chimera, and, with her fists of fire, obliterated a fleet of Water Tribe ships. And now she returns to pay tribute to Firelord Azulon."

My brows pinched together in confusion. Was the presenter exaggerating to make the captain seem more impressive? No one could take out an entire fleet single-handedly, even the most skilled firebenders.

"Rise, Captain Enya, and let me look upon you," my grandfather commanded.

She stood, staring up at him, the flames illuminating her face. Her skin was fair as a porcelain cup, her hair the dark brown of hot cocoa, eyes like silver coins catching and reflecting the light. I'd never seen anyone with such a perfect face, her cheekbones and chin cut from marble, lips red as lychee nuts, lashes so long they cast shadows. It wasn't fair that someone so powerful was allowed to be so beautiful.

"I am honored to serve you, my Lord." Enya gave another sweeping bow, and I could've sworn, just for a moment, her eyes flicked over to me, but I must've imagined it.

"Your Lieutenants may mingle with the rest of the lords and ladies, but we have provided a space for you at our table," Azulon said. "Next to my grandson, Lu Ten."

Enya gave a quick bow to each of her subordinates before taking her seat.

"This isn't fair," I hissed at my mother. "Why does Lu Ten get to sit next to the captain? He's not even a bender."

"Are you stupid?" Zuko asked incredulously. "She's sitting next to our cousin because she's going to marry him; that's the whole reason she came back to the mainland in the first place."

A short chapter to start with, but I wanted you all to get a feel for the story! Just so you know, this is a bit AU cause I've aged everyone up, so Zuko is fifteen and Azula is thirteen, but it's still a prequel to the events of ATLA.

Thank you all for reading, and if you enjoyed this first chapter, I'd appreciate you voting, commenting, and adding this book to your libraries so you can see when I update!!!