Chapter 6 - To The Rescue

A current of heat passed through Corbin as Luna's cat-like eyes remained on him. The walls in the studio pulsed with a low hum that crawled through his ears. Her lips moved but he couldn't hear what she was saying, and it wasn't until his knees swayed that sound returned to him.

"What gift do you see?" Jasper asked.

"The gift of water," she replied and thudded into Jasper's chest as she stepped back, causing the dark emerald color of her eyes to morph back to light green. "Let's go. We need to go."

"What? What about the gems?"

"He's not the man we're looking for. He's something else." She grabbed Jasper's hand, pulling him. "Let's go."

"Wait, what about him?"

"We leave him alone," Luna replied and yanked Jasper through the door.

When it closed behind them, Corbin rushed over and bolted the locks. What on earth just happened? Whatever it was, he wouldn't stick around to find out! So he packed his bag, got dressed, and pulled money out of his wallet for Charlie's father. His heart pounded as he made his way to the door, and he blew out a breath before unlocking it.

"When will I catch a break, old man?" He pulled the door open, but as he stepped out, his eyes narrowed on the knuckles flying towards his face.

∆∆∆

When Corbin came to consciousness, he found himself on the bed in the studio. As he blinked at the ceiling, angry whispers from somewhere in the room demanded his attention. He rolled over and watched the shadows from Luna's dramatic arm movements take up the entire place as she paced by the lamp.

"What if they were after ME," he heard her say.

"But they're not," Jasper replied.

"Papá, por favor..." She turned to a tall older man with hints of grey frosting the stubble on his chin. If Corbin had to guess, the man was probably in his fifties, yet his body looked like he could strangle a bear in its sleep. "What if they were after my kind? Wouldn't you want someone to help me?"

"Sweetheart, if this is the man we heard The Hounds are after, we can't help him. It's not our business," he replied in a British accent.

"Not our business?"

"I am sorry, Sweetheart, but you have to understand—"

"He has the gift of water, Papá!" Luna exclaimed with clenched fists and began pacing again. "He has a bigger purpose. I saw it in his eyes."

"Don't start making things up just because you want to help him," Jasper scoffed, rolling his eyes.

"I'm not making it up!"

"We can't keep him, Luna. He's not a pet."

"I'm not making it up, Jasper!"

"What did you see?" the older man asked, halting their bickering.

"What?"

"What did you see in his eyes?" he asked again.

"I'm not sure."

"Because you're lying!" Jasper laughed.

"QUIET," the man scolded. "Concentrate, Luna. What did you see?"

"Go on." Corbin got to his feet, drawing their attention. "What did you see when you looked into my swollen, bruised eyes? And I'd also like to know who the hell you are."

"I'm Archibald," the older man replied, extending his hand to him. "My daughter thinks you have a greater purpose, so here we are."

"Oh, really?" Corbin snorted, ignoring Archibald's hand. "Like selling me to The Hounds so I can become someone's slave!"