Chapter 21

Peril's PoV

Peril huffed as she listened to Kinkajou's blabber as they flew searching for Moon, "...so when we found out we were all like, 'whaa' and I was actually pretty mad so I said I had to be alone to think but when I thought about it and it was kinda alright, because I say everything that's inside my head, so it wasn't like she was hearing something others weren't, but I can kinda understand why dragons are mad. But not enough to kill Moon. I wasn't that mad. Were you mad enough to kill her when you found out?"

 Kinkajou paused long enough to glance and Peril thoughtfully, "...yeah, you probably were."

Peril raised an eyebrow, and Kinkajou said defensively, "Hey, you said so yourself, you think about ways to kill anydragon you meet."

Before, Peril would've shown the small, brightly-colored dragon exactly how she imagined killing her for a comment like that, but she found she didn't really mind all that much. She just laughed and said, "Well, you got me there." As Kinkajou continued the same story she had been telling for weeks.

 Peril didn't interrupt her. Kinkajou was not very adept at hiding anything, (except herself when playing hide and seek. That dragonet was good) so it was obvious that she was nervous.

Suddenly, Peril was aware of Kinkajou trying to get her attention. "...eril. Pe-ril. Phyrria to Peril!"

Shaking her head, Peril blinked and focused her attention on Kinkajou, "Yeah? Kinkajou sighed and shook her head, "You spaced and started flying off course..." she trailed off and Peril knew what she was thinking, even without being a mindreader like Moon: Again.

Throughout the four moons that Peril had been holed up with an unconscious, sleep talking Moon (all that junk about destroying Peril? That was more than disconcerting); a nervous, hyper Kinkajou (wouldn't want to trapped alone with her in a cramped space); and a silent, presumably-traitor Winter (he still couldn't get over the fact that she had accidentally burned him a while back) she had been repeatedly going out at night. When Moon and Winter had gone missing, it had only gotten worse, and she had started blanking out in the daytime and started flying off in the same direction. Always north.

The subject was a touchy one because Peril couldn't control it and yet Kinkajou thought she was doing it on purpose. She probably thinks I'm going to go traitor on her. Murder her in her sleep or something. Peril thought, But I just think I'm going insane. Am I going to start talking in the third person? I met a guy like that one in the arena...totally insane. It's probably a good thing that I killed him.

No! Peril mentally yelled at herself, Let's not go down that path right now. Killing dragons is bad. Peril reminded herself, No matter who they are or what their mental health is.

As they continued flying, Peril made extra care not to space out. Although, that didn't really make sense. It was like focusing on focusing on your work. You weren't really doing anything. Just distracting yourself with not become distracted. Beside her, Kinkajou tilted her wings to land, and Peril realized that they had circled around back to their cave. Peril hurriedly tilted her wings to land as well, but she was still going at a brisk pace. She frantically tried to tilt her trajectory so she wouldn't crash headfirst, but her momentum was already pointed down. She closed her eyes and braced herself, only to yelp when she plowed into a mound of green scales.

Heyyy...I meant to publish this like three days ago but I forgot. 

I was busy: (multiple choice)

(A): Procrastinating

(B): Celebrating New Years

(C): Painting

(D): All of the above

(Hint: It was D)

By the way, check out my art book! The painting is almost done and it's turning out great!