Chapter 10

🔥I can't fall asleep T_T🔥

Winter's PoV

It was dark outside as Winter jetted out of the warm cave. He flew out, wincing as his wounds protested.

He felt disheveled, flustered, and altogether a mess. His mind warred over guilt, a sense of injustice, and fear. Fear! He was nephew of Queen Glacier! He had no time for fear.

But here he was, so racked with fear, he felt like crying. He had never even heard of an IceWing crying before!

As he flew around the SkyWing and MudWing territory, he dissected his thoughts. He wanted to help Moon—had always wanted to help Moon, why didn't she see that? But now, when he had tried, she accused him for "wanting to kill her".

Ha! Winter thought, as if he would hurt her on purpose. Hadn't he told her he wished he never would? Didn't she remember that? Winter did, absolutely. He remembered how the moonlight reflected off her teardrop scales and the sliver scales at her wrist as she looked at him, and he remembered how the moonlight curved around her as she looked down at the floor.

Winter was jerked into to the present as he heard wingbeats. He realized that he had flown too far into SkyWing territory. Apparently, a SkyWing was guarding a town nearby. He dove behind a rock.

"Hey Garnet, is that you?" A hopeful voice called as Winter dove behind a rock. "I've been looking for you, and I wanted to say I'm sorry."

Fine. Not guarding the town nearby.

"Garnet? Come out, I know your there." The now playful voice called

She came closer to Winter's rock and Winter huddled down farther.

"Garnet? Why aren't you talking to me? I said I'm so-rry!" Her voice pitched into a wine "I should've known that you wouldn't forgive me. You know what?" She half-screamed, "Forget it! We are OVER! And I MEAN it this time! We are DONE!"

Silence followed, Winter doing his best not to snicker.

"Just like that?" The dragon said tearily. "You'll regret this. You need me. Well," The dragon yelled back as she flew off, "I'll see to it that everyone will know, about you-know-what!"

As she called back, Winter saw her face, and her eyes widened as they made eye contact. Winter got ready to flee, until the poor SkyWing crashed into a rock spire, and fell twenty feet to the floor, completely knocked out.

And Winter was virtually left alone, laughing. Poor dragonet.

He flew away, not wanting to be there when she woke up.

Winter wandered around, procrastinating at going to the cave. He sat on a rock spire and watched the sun come up. He speared and ate some fish, hating the warmth of it.

After that, Winter headed back to the cave, until he realized he was lost. He retraced his path to the place where the SkyWing had almost found him, but then he realized that he had no idea what direction he had come from.

Oh well.

Winter guessed the direction and flew as far as he could, and then sat down to wait for his memory to suddenly refresh, or for someone to find him. They would look for him, right? Even knowing that he had hurt Moon? Of course they would, he was a part of their Winglet.

Barely, his mind whispered, you left them, remember?

That was different, Winter argued, that was to help my long-lost brother.

But that wasn't enough, he knew, he had left them, he thought as he hit his head with his talons. He was such an idiot. And he had said he wasn't coming back.

"But you did come back, and that's what counts."

Winter jumped to see Moon, her talons tapping at the rock nervously.

Nothing was said for a minute, Winter was frozen with surprise and fear, and Moon, apparently was waiting for Winter to speak first.

Finally Moon blurted out, "I'm sorry."

Winter was still too surprised to speak, and stuttered nervously, "Wha-a?"

Moon plundered on, "I had just woken up and I was angry and confused and you were there and I just flew at you..." Moon sucked in a breath, "...AndI'mreallyreallysorryandcanyoupleaseforgiveme?" Moon cringed back, as if expecting a blow. Well if she was, she didn't get it.

"...I'm sorry too." Winter sighed, defeated, he had felt angry at her for a split second, but then he felt...he felt like he knew that feeling too. The feeling of guilt and fear and the horribleness that seemed to follow everything wrong in the world.

Moon relaxed completely, looking at him disbelievingly "Really?"

Winter rolled his eyes, then grinned "No, I was joking, and am super mad at you right now." He said in a flat voice.

Moon looked at him, oblivious to the obvious sarcasm in Winter's voice. "O-kay," then she realized that Winter was being sarcastic, and stopped, a blush showing dark red on her scales.

"Let's just get back." Winter suggested and Moon nodded, looking as if she was deep in thought. Well, Winter had things to think about as well.

I am proud of this chapter. 😊 I went long. :3

Who wants to name the SkyWing?