Chapter 45

I watched as Maggie carefully undressed my wounded leg and assessed the damage. She didn't speak as she pulled some supplies from her bag and pressed some ointment to the wound causing me to flinch.

"We thought you were dead." She said softly as she wrapped a fresh bandage around my leg and tied it off. "I'm not that easy to kill." She scoffed lightly at my comment and then stood up, stretching out a hand towards me. I took ahold of it and let her pull me to my feet. I wasn't quite sure how we ended up at Maggie's camp last night after my little event with the pack of walkers last night, but I had a feeling that it had involved a lot of limping and hiding from approaching walkers. We had moved further from that makeshift camp when morning hit and after searching for a decent place to camp, we finally found a suitable place.

Now I was balancing on a few large rocks with a creek bubbling behind me while Sasha tended to Bob's wounds and Maggie crouched down near one side of the rocks. "Bleeding stopped." Sasha said as she walked over to Maggie. "He'll be alright." Sasha waited for a reply to come, but I watched her sigh when nothing came from Maggie. "Got the water to our backs, decent vantage points from the bank. I'm thinking we camp here for the night." Sasha said as Maggie got to her feet. "That's good. Ya'll should be safe here." She said as she wiped her hands on her jeans. "Wait, Maggie." I started, but she cut me off. "The bus got out. Glenn got out. I'm gonna find him." I watched as Maggie moved towards the bank. "Maggie. With any luck, the bus is gone." Sasha stated, moving towards her as I joined her and Bob. "It was heading east down the main road. If I follow in that direction, I might be able to pick up its tracks." Maggie argued, her knife in hand. "Alone? With just that?" I asked and she looked down at her knife then back up at me.

"I'm out of ammo, so, yeah. I couldn't find Beth. I know Glenn got out and I know which way he went. I'm gonna go get him and I'm gonna come back for all of you. We both are." Maggie stated firmly and then spun on her heels, striding towards the bank. "Maggie." Me and Sasha called after her and she quickly faced us, her eyes narrowed. "I'm going." She quickly turned. "We cannot split up. Not now." Sasha argued, but Maggie had already vanished into the forest.

Bob started to move and we turned to him, his mouth pulled into a smile. "Where are you going?" I asked as he moved towards the forest after Maggie. "Sasha said it. We can't split up." He quickly followed after Maggie, leaving me and Sasha behind. "Great." I muttered and moved as quickly as I could up the bank with Sasha behind me.

When we finally caught up to Bob, he was a few feet away from Maggie, who was furiously striding down the empty road. Sasha sighed as she looked at Maggie and then tilted her head towards Bob. "You could have helped me stop her." She said and Bob winced, clutching his injured shoulder. "If you're trying to make me feel sorry for you, it's not working." She scoffed, adjusting the bag slung over her own shoulders. "Damn, it means I let myself get shot up for nothing." I chuckled at Bob's comment and watched as Sasha rolled her eyes.

After a few moments of silence, she sighed again and her gaze focused on Maggie. "The odds of us finding him...we should be out looking for food, shelter." She said softly, afraid that Maggie would hear her. "Why is that?" Bob asked and Sasha straightened. "So we can live." She replied, her voice firm. "Then what?" Bob questioned, throwing Sasha off. I almost laughed at the confused expression that plastered her face. "What?" She asked. "Maybe we didn't survive just to keep surviving." He stated firmly and I tilted my head towards him. "That's deep." I chuckled lightly and watched as his smile deepened. Sasha stayed silent for a few minutes before replying. "Shit happens. Not everything has to mean something." She grumbled and I watched as Bob tilted his head towards her. "No, it doesn't have to, but it can. If you make it that way, and that's what it seems like we're doing. And I'm down with that." He replied with a smile. I watched the two for a little while before turning my attention back to Maggie, who slowed to a stop, and as we came up beside her we saw why.