Chapter 3

I was sitting on the porch swing when an Asian male came walking up and noticed me. "Hey, I don't believe we've met, I'm Glenn." He held out his hand and I shook it. 

"Scarlett," I said plainly and watched as he continued to awkwardly stand at the door. "Can I help you with anything?" I questioned and his eyes widened before he looked away.

"Uh no, nothing at all." He said hesitantly, glancing longingly back at the front door before scurrying off the porch.

I chuckled and turned my attention back to the sight in front of me, staring off over the acres of land. Safe, that's what Maggie said, but nowhere is safe, not anymore. I picked up my bag and threw it over my shoulder.

I picked up my bow off the porch and stepped down the stairs, ready to leave this place and go back on my own.  I stood there for a while rethinking things when finally I walked back to the porch and dropped my stuff down. As much as wanted to go back to being on my own, it had been a long time since I had been a part of a group. I had been alone for a while and these people seemed nice, seemed trustworthy, but how long would that last.

People started walking out of the house talking about shooting practice with Shane and Rick. Andrea walked past the porch, a rifle in her hands, and spotted me. "Hey, are you coming to train?" She asked and pointed to the others, I shook my head "no" and she shrugged and waved goodbye. I sat on the swing awhile thinking about why I decided to stay. It was unclear to me, there was nothing here for me, why would I want to stay?

I saw an older man on top of the RV and decided to walk over, maybe greet him. "Oh hey there, I don't think we've met, I'm Dale, and you are?" He asked, looking up from his book. "Scarlett." He smiled and returned back to his book, I saw two women washing clothes near the lake and two men loading up a car.

I walked back to the porch and was stopped by the men. "Where are y'all heading?" I asked and at first, they looked at me shocked. "What?" They looked over me carefully and I just watched them, confused. "Sorry it's you just don't talk much, didn't think we'd be hearing much from you." I shrugged as they continued to pack weapons. "We're heading up to practice shooting, oh and I'm T-dog." Said a dark-skinned man with biceps. The man next to him loaded a bag into the truck and slung a weapon over his shoulder.

"I'm Jimmy." He said and held out his hand for me to shake. I shook it and saw Daryl ride up on a horse. We locked eyes, his blue ones meeting my green ones. He then looked away and looked down at T-dog. "Imma go see if I can find Sophia, find a high area and get bird's eye view, get a good look at the grid." He said. "Alright, well maybe you'll spot that Chupacabra." T-dog snickered. I began to laugh and missed Rick walking up. "What ya braying at, Jackass," Daryl growled as I smiled up at him and left for the porch, feeling his gaze on me. He left and I couldn't help, but feel worried. I worked on my bow and made new arrows out of some materials I found in the house.

"How's your shoulder?" Maggie said, sitting next to me. "A bit sore." She smiled, probably glad I was talking more. "You should be fine by tomorrow, you're lucky Daryl brought you back in time, you were losing a lot of blood." I smiled and looked down at my bow, slapping myself mentally. "I'll have to thank him for saving me after he shot me then." I chuckled and she joined in.

We sat there in silence and after a while I stood up, leaning against the railing of the porch. "Scarlett, how did-?!" A shot rang out and I was on alert, rushing down the stairs to see figures carrying someone. Andrea blubbering on and on about how she was sorry.

As the figures got closer my heart sunk, I don't know why it did, but I couldn't look away. Daryl was being carried by Rick and T-dog, his side was bloody and so was his head.

"Scarlett?"
"Scarlett?"
"Scarlett?"
"Scarlett!" Maggie grabbed my shoulders carefully. "Are you ok?" She said, searching my eyes. I couldn't speak and I stepped back out of her grip and walked away. I couldn't get him out of my mind, seeing him bloody, hurt. I leaned against the house and waited, finally getting bored I set up my tent. I barely knew him, he shot me, saved me, but why did I feel this way.