Let's Play a Game (22)

Start from the beginning

When the door burst open, I nearly jumped out of my towel. I feared the worst; it had to be Johnny that had just opened the door on us. There was no way we could brush something like this off.

I immediately grabbed a hand towel from a rack a few inches away from me, automatically covering the scars on my arms. I still didn’t want anyone seeing the hideous markings.

But much to my surprise, it wasn’t Johnny at the door, but Ethan instead. And in a way, that was even worse.

“I’m blind!” he shouted, slapping his hands over his eyes. “I’m blind! Ugh, kill me now because I’m never going to get that sight out of my head!”

“It’s the circle of life, dude,” Zach informed his brother now, tightening his towel around his waist now that we had been interrupted. “Like The Lion King, or whatever. Right?”

“I’m pretty sure the circle of life is when you have a baby,” I informed him with a scowl, not believing we were actually having this kind of conversation about an old children’s movie.

Zach smirked at me, wagging his eyebrows. “Well, we were getting there.”

“Ew, ew, ew!” Ethan cried out, his hands now covering his ears as he continued to keep his eyes shut. “Can someone just tie you up so you won’t go near each other anymore?”

Zach’s eyebrows wagged again. “If I’m the one tying her up, then sure.”

“Images!” Ethan shouted, his hands still clasping his ears. “There are images in my head and they won’t get out!”

“You’ll see it someday,” Zach merely sighed, and I couldn’t believe that he was actually talking about something like this to his younger brother, who wasn’t even old enough to be classified as a tween yet. “You never know what the future holds you, bro. You could be alone forever, or you could get a super hot girlfriend.”

Ethan made a face. “I see you didn’t get the super hot part when it comes to your girlfriend.”

I wanted to just wrap my hands around his little neck and choke him. It wouldn’t take that long, considering the fact that he was a child, no matter how differently he acted.

Zach started snickering, and all I did was take the bar of soap and chuck it at Ethan, who easily dodged it like it was nothing at all. It made me mad that my aim sucked so much that I wasn’t even able to hit a ten-year-old with a bar of freaking soap.

I didn’t feel like taking anymore abuse from the two of them, so I now tightened the towel around me, hopping off the counter and quickly storming out of the room and past Ethan, who was still covering his eyes from the horror of seeing Zach and me making out the way we were.

I’d take a shower later in the day, when it was safe to come out of my room. I was not going to go back into that bathroom for a few hours.

B this was so embarrassing. The only thing that could have been worse would have been if Johnny had walked in on us. Even though Ethan was a lot smarter than Zach and I were, he was still a ten-year-old boy. Nothing was going to change that.

I got dressed as quickly as I possibly could, because Zach could have easily walked into my room whenever he wanted, even if I wasn’t decent. I did not want to think about what might have happened if Ethan hadn’t interrupted, but that seemed to be the only thing on my mind. I didn’t know how far I would have gone with Zach, and there was even the possibility that Johnny could have walked in. I just didn’t know.

After I was fully clothed, I just sat on my bed and thought for a little bit. I thought about how different everything now was, even though nothing much had changed at all. But the decision I had made was a big one, and it was something I couldn’t go back on once I was finished.