Chapter 33

"We need a story." Natalie said through tears. "So we don't get put in jail."

I nodded. "Suicide?" that was my first suggestion.

"Yeah, that works. Crazy wife stabs husband then decides she can't live without him, so she takes his gun and pulls the trigger." Natalie said.

"Take Luke's gun and put that one in her hands, so the cops don't question the difference. Where'd you get that anyway?"

"It's Ryan's." she switched the guns.

"Oh. We should go."

"Go where?" I jumped at the sound of another persons voice. I turned to see…Sheila.

She's really getting on my nerves.

"Go…call the cops." Natalie lied. I nodded quickly, agreeing with her.

"Why? What's going on?"

"Me and Nat heard gunshots so we came out here to check it out, and then we found Luke and his wife in the field. They looked pretty dead." I explained.

"Luke's wife? Luke doesn't have a wife. Are you guys sure that's what happened?" she put on a questioning look.

"Well we just assumed 'cause they were next to each other and…dead." Natalie sounded nervous. I'm sure I did too though.

"I'll have someone come down here, and investigate." she whipped out her phone and dialed a number.

"Can we leave?" Natalie asked.

Sheila mouthed: "One minute."

Nat let out an annoyed sigh.

"Courtney we have to go." Natalie tugged on my arm.

"Why are you in such a hurry?" Sheila closed her phone and spoke.

"I don't know.…" Nat was on the verge of tears.

"Well Crime Scene Investigators are on their way down here. They want you to stay here."

Natalie sat in the mud, and cried.

Sheila walked a little closer to me. "I pulled the plug. Ryan's over." her smile was sinister and scary.

Well since I have close to nothing left I attacked her. What do I have to loose? Kids that won't want to be anywhere near me when they figure out what I've done? How would Ryan react to all of this? I feel like a failure. I'm back to square one: no family.

"Why would you do that!?!" I threw her into the huge water puddle.

"Calm down! I was lying! Ryan's fine!" she crawled out of the puddle and wiped her eyes. "You and Natalie are going to jail by the way."

"For what reason?" Nat yelled.

"Murdering Luke, and whoever his "wife" is?"

"You don't know we did though!"

"Oh I do. You're both emotionally unstable, and you're the only ones within a five mile radius of this field. You guys are the only reasonable suspects."

"The state of Montana says you can't put us in jail until our trial. We haven't had a trial yet." Natalie made a good point.

"Fine. But you're not getting out of this. You're going to trial. I'm reporting this…immediately." she spun on her heel, and left the field.

I flashed Nat an apologetic look. "I'm sorry." I pulled her into a hug.

"I dragged myself into this. Don't apologize." she paused for a brief second. "You know the hospital called before I left the house. There could have been some good news."

"Let's go see."

*Later*

Me and Natalie sat in two separate chairs in Ryan's hospital room. I think we were both contemplating on whether or not to wake him up.

"You know if we wake him up, we'll have to tell him about…you know?" Natalie stated.

I watched as one of Ryan's eyes opened, followed by the other one shortly after. He shot up. "Courtney? Why are you bleeding?" he pointed to my blood stained shirt. "And why do you both look like you rolled in the mud before you came here?"

"Uncle Ryan…" Natalie started. "We have something very… very important to tell you." she finished.

"Go on…"

Natalie looked at me for help, and I continued. "We kinda…um…uh…what are the words?"

"What?!" Ryan's patience was growing thin.

"We killed people." I said quietly.

Pause…

"Yeah right." Ryan folded his arms over his chest. "You're not serious…are you?"

"Ryan, trust me, I wouldn't lie about something like this."

"Who?"

"Luke, and some girl claiming to be his wife." I answered.

"Who knows about it?"

"Sheila. And some court probably."

"Why would you do that! Whatever the reason was, it's probably not gonna hold up well in front of a grand jury."

"Grand jury?" Natalie asked.

"Yes, Natalie, a grand jury. Murder's a pretty serious crime!"

"We're screwed."

"Yeah." Ryan said coldly. "I can't believe you'd sink that low."

Trust me, I couldn't either.

I really do think that I'm going crazy.