"No, just that he wanted to talk," Damien didn't make eye contact as he found a seat across from Sapphire's Alpha positioned on one of the couches. His clothes had less noticeable wrinkles than the other day, and his hair didn't bear the same kind of unkempt as it did. Emerald healed his heart a little, even if just with a few stitches on the worst wounds.

"Tyler," I said, approaching him. He stood almost immediately and took out his hand for me to shake. I returned the gesture with a firm grasp on his slightly larger hand but he let go first. "You look much better today," I noted out loud.

"Your maid, what's her name again – Erin, yes, Erin is a wonderful hostess," Tyler beamed toward the kitchen where our housekeeper prepared food. His eyes twinkled with splotches of dark brown and gold, with a solid yellow ring that branched out like stalagmites in a cave around his pupils.

"She's been with the pack for a long time now," I answered. "Erin treats every guest here with the highest of honor and respect. I expect nothing less of her."

"And yet you refuse to look her in the eye while visitors are present," Tyler criticized. I turned my gaze up, eyebrows cocked on my forehead. While I knew his friendly demeanor wouldn't last I figured the cold comments would remain at bay until he wandered off Emerald property and back to Sapphire where he belonged.

"If you came down here to criticize, I suggest you leave," I said.

"Only an observation, my friend," Tyler said. He held one hand up in defense but from my angle that thin wall didn't help: transparent just like his comments. I stifled a laugh but kept it in my mouth in case he dared say anything else about Emerald.

"Erin knows we mean no harm to her or that we look down at her while guests are around. It's simply a gesture that's been used in my family for several generations." I explained, although I didn't remember why I felt the need to do so. At this point Tyler strayed so far from being a guest that he wore his welcome clean off his face as he retrofitted back into his old self.

"If you're feeling better, you better get going back to Sapphire," I stood, uncomfortable with the long stare since I sat down. He set his cup of tea down on the table with a loud ting from porcelain meeting its match of wood.

"I want to know what happened to my sister," he puffed out his chest, a clear sign of Sapphire pack's unwillingness to back down to a challenge. A fault seen in many of their failures throughout history. I saw the anger rising in him the same way it did two days ago. My patience wore thin, but his comments about how I treated Erin teetered me over the edge. Zane pushed through the barrier in my head, to reign as Alpha over Tyler. I held my wolf back the best I could, knowing if he did get out blood would surely spill on the plush carpets.

"Your sister lost her humanity the day she signed herself over to the council," I snapped. "It's not my responsibility to make sure she hasn't completely lost her nuts, now please leave," I said through clenched teeth. Dean, Jax, and Damien were behind me, arms folded. They were my main defense from an Alpha whose relationship with Emerald remained rocky and sour.

"My pack is larger than yours, Corvo," Tyler threatened.

"Numbers do not trump power, Tyler, now leave." I threw my hand toward the front door seen through the open entry to the foyer. Damien stood next to me, closer than my two friends. I didn't need his help but I refused to reject the obvious sign of support from my nearly estranged brother.

"Where is my sister," Tyler hissed, leaning across the table separating us. The contents of his cup shivered, rippling like terrified fish in a great pond while predators circled around them. "If you refuse to help me I'll go find her myself!"