So everything Aldeheid seen was in his own head, not something Nylarah had made up to torture him. You don't have to say anything, she'd said. Because it was all in his head, laid bare before him. All the thoughts he'd been running from. All the things he'd wanted to forget.

"I hold no malice," he finally said. "Is that why you came?"

"There's also another matter I want to discuss, concerning your bonding ceremony. Eat your fill first. Then we'll walk the outer wall." He leaned back in his seat and picked up the parchment he'd been reading.

Moments later, with a full stomach and clean clothes, Aldeheid was following Kemah to the southern part of the castle. After walking the maze like halls for half an hour, they reached a wide balcony on the top floor. It ran along the entire southern side and provided a view Aldeheid couldn't tear his eyes away from.

"How are you liking Kon so far?" Kemah asked as they strolled along.

"It's beautiful." If there was one thing he learned from Kitaya, it was that he needed to travel more. He couldn't believe he'd been missing out on places like Kon and Aiisha for so long. It almost felt like a disservice unto himself. "But I thought we were going to the outer wall."

"This is the outer wall."

Aldeheid opened his mouth, then closed it again, then gazed beyond the city to where the outer wall he knew of was.

"I'll explain." He tucked his hands behind his back, continuing towards the eastern side of the castle. "When the first ruler of Kon wanted to discuss important matters, he'd walk with the relevant parties along the outer wall of the castle. It's become somewhat of a tradition."

"I see..." Aldeheid toyed with his bandages. "So when someone wants to walk the outer wall, they're referring to this balcony and not the actual outer wall? That makes no sense."

"Not to you, but you should commit these things to memory. Because once you become Kitaya's magician, this..." He gestured towards the city. "...will become your home. On one condition."

Aldeheid, stopped and wrinkled his brow. Kitaya had told him nothing of any conditions. And with everything he knew about Kon so far, it could be something insane, like a freefall from the highest point in the city or running through fire. "What condition?"

Kemah stopped and turned to face him. "You must renounce all ties to your home nation. You're still allowed to visit, but your alliance lies with Kon, and Kon only."

Aldeheid couldn't help the laugh that escaped him. "Is that it? I've been stateless for over three hundred years."

Kemah chuckled and turned to face the city. "Well, you'll only have to be stateless for one day more. Are you nervous for the ceremony?"

Nervous didn't even begin to cover his feelings. "I'm still in disbelief it's happening." He leaned against the stone, its warmth seeping into his skin.

"And why is that? Kitaya seems especially adamant about having you as her magician."

"But why?" Aldeheid wasn't sure if that question was directed at himself or Kemah. "She doesn't even need a magician. Much less me."

Kemah rolled his eyes in a very Kitaya-like fashion. "I can see why she calls you an idiot half the time. Listen. Kitaya wouldn't have chosen you to be her magician if she didn't believe, by some measure, that she'll be better because of you."

That made even less sense to him. "She'll be better. But it will be in spite of me."

"Dear gods, you're exhausting." Kemah turned away and began walking again. "We shouldn't dally any longer. Kitaya is waiting."