15. The Hybrid

Kris did not die.

Perhaps it would have been better if they had, if they had simply stopped existing and ceased into whatever hell most certainly awaited them in the afterlife. It would have ended the clamour and chaos that they had been wrapped up inside from the moment they were born, the chaos that had driven them to the point of insanity, turned them into some horrific creature that was not entirely human nor monster.

A hybrid, if you would.

Your spell, the spell without words, the spell laced with hope for a better future that was not full of genocide, it had not eradicated them, it had not killed Kris in the way that you had hoped. Of course, you did not realise this, given the fact that you had reset the timeline and wiped away every memory inside your mind.

Their soul, instead, had been ripped from your universe, spit out and rejected like a piece of foul coding, cast away into a world of white. That was where Kris had awoken now, stranded in a world without beginning or end. It was an infinite plain of white that did not bow to the laws of physics or any other region of science, the place of infinite decay and dust, where the living and dead certainly did not belong.

"What a fool they were," Kris snarled, getting to their feet. And how true that was! The human had evicted Kris from their home, cast them away in hopes that removing Kris from the face of existence would pave the way for a better future, to allow the timeline to return back to normal in order for the human Frisk to once more claim control over the timeline.

How could no one understand the big picture?

It was an endless cycle of resets, a cycle that forever enslaved the universe that Kris had once called home. If the damn human had understood what was really at stake, if (Y/n) even had the faintest grasping of the idea that their universe was forever stuck in an endless cycle of genocide and pacifism, than they would have understood why it had been necessary for Kris to have acted the way they did.

For only Kris was the strongest in that whole damn universe to hijack Frisk's mind, to take over their corporeal form and possess enough determination to shift the balance of the reset, to put a permanent end to the game that this damn human had been playing for far too long. How (Y/n) and the other monsters of the Underground had had the nerve to call Kris the daemon, their ultimate adversary! If only they had known that this was an act of mercy, of putting an end to an endless dictator that could control their minds and memories at will!

Oh yes, Kris remembered all of that. When they had been nothing more than a trapped soul that was forever damned to be confined within the dark catacombs of the laboratory, they had felt Frisk's presence tear through the Underground. And when the human had reset, when Frisk turned back the clock to start it all over again, the memories of those past timelines still remained with Kris' mind, a silent observer to the slaughter above.

Did Kris feel bad for the slaughtering of all those monsters?

Of course not! Genocide was one of the funniest things there was in this futile and fleeting existence, they way you could end a monster's life with a single slice of a knife, reduce a creature that had been full of so much life and so much vitality into a vacant pile of ash and dust that offered no indication of the monster that it had once been.

Kris did not blame Frisk for wandering throughout the Underground and having their own little version of fun, but it was growing to be quite a bore as it was repeated hundreds and hundreds of times, the same old story without anything new. So could Kris really be blamed for lashing out, for trying to take control over the timeline and create a new story, something better, something more grand?