10. Alone

Free at last!

It had been a particularly long time since we had found ourselves once more roaming through the world of the living, where those susceptible to the wounds of the flesh and could fall so easily to trivial wounds, wither and decay like their fleeting lives meant nothing. It hadn't been easy for us to once more regain a physical form, not since the human had gained the upper hand, banished us into oblivion and set aflame our corporeal vessel.

But that was a mistake we were determined to not let happen twice, to allow our guard to so easily blind us and distract us from the task that was at hand. We had the advantage now, knowing that not a memory of us existed within the minds of those that wandered through these underground catacombs, our entire coding having been ripped from this world and existence like it had never been there at all.

Oh, but we would give them all something to remember, burn our memory so deep into the heart of this dying world that no mere whim of magic could ever hope to erase us from existence once more.

We walked through the forest for some time, lost amongst our thoughts of the future that awaited, one full of blood and pain and revenge upon those who had ever dared to defy or harm us. We clung to the flanks of the shadows, revelling in the presence of the darkness as we took step after step, unseen to any pair of prying eyes that might be delving into the darkness, the prey trying to hunt down their predator that would ultimately sink its claws into their neck, drain the life from the blood while they screamed into the cold of this world, beginning for someone, anyone to hear their name but nobody would come, they never did.

How heightened our senses were! It was hard to imagine our lives before this one, before our consciousnesses has merged into a singular entity, the human and the scientist having once lived two separate lives. But we had ascended such a state, our minds merged into one consciousness that hungered and burned for the bloodshed of thousands, eager to seek vengeance and justice upon those who had wronged us in a previous life. For there was no Gaster, no Kris. It was just we.

We tightened our grip on the knife clutched within our hand, holding onto it like it was our lifeline for it was the very harnessing of our power, the tool that we used to channel our hatred and our anger into a single weapon that could cut and bleed and slice and dice, death and genocide that was one big party that would never stop until the ground was coated in dust and blood.

Already had one monster fallen victim to the blade and they would be the first of millions, the first to fall in the mountain of bodies and dust that were sure to follow as time progressed. How fun it had been to see the knife cut through their chest, tear through their flesh and clothing like it was more difficult than it was for a pair of scissors to cut through paper. They had been surprised, amazed at how fleeting and unimportant their mortal life had been, how they had spent years of their futile existence enduring struggle after struggle only to meet their ultimate demise at the last second, withering away into a pile of dust and in a decade's time, not one would be alive that would remember their name.

That was what life was after all.

Many thought that life was important, that it was the symbol of hope and resilience against a universe that was trying so hard to extinguish any living creature that crawled around in its dark catacombs. But life was not hope. Life was a disease, a burden, an embodiment of delusion and grandeur, those gifted with life often believing that they were so important and special when they were nothing more than naive little apes and monsters that would die and never be remembered by future generations.

Except us.

We were the exception, the living creature above that rule. For with us was the strength of dragons, the roar of thunder that hammered inside our veins and fuelled our magic, an endless source of energy that would never fade, never falter. We would continue to exist and rule as god amongst the lesser creatures generations after they had fallen victim to death such was the fate of all living creatures. We would not succumb to age or illness or the wounds of the flesh as the other living things often did. We would exist, we would be remembered and burned into the minds of every life form for the rest of eternity.