Chapter 3

Finley

I glanced nervously at my friends as we waited for Alpha to return to his office. After his announcement that he needed to speak with us he simply told us to meet in his office and he would be with us shortly. That was about twenty minutes ago. He still hasn't come in yet.

Gwen and Sunshine both looked straight ahead, not moving an inch. River however was also glancing around, like myself. Eventually our eyes met and I could see that he was just about as terrified as I was.

I gulped nervously, desperate to figure out what Alpha wanted with us. I've already proved myself, what more could he want with me?

Alpha finally walked in and slammed the door shut behind him. I jumped at the noise which caused Alpha to chuckle softly.

"I'm sorry to have called you all here with little explanation. I'm sure you're all wondering why you're here?" Alpha said. It was obvious that something was troubling him.

"Is something wrong, Alpha?" I asked hesitantly.

"Wrong? Not wrong but certainly suspicious." Alpha growled.

I cocked my head to the side. Him growling was not a good sign. It means he's not in the greatest of moods.

"There is a strong scent by the Bear Claw Pack's territory. And it isn't werewolf." Alpha snarled.

I gulped and tried to keep my eyes steady. That would have to be someone from my clan, most likely Kelly. I haven't been doing that great with my mission. I haven't had the chance to meet the others at the border since I left.

Being Beta has its perks, but also downfalls... Being Beta means that I am Alpha's right-hand pack member, so I know more about the pack than most other members. It also means that I organize patrol schedules, so I know where all my pack mates are at all times (well, most of the time). But its downfall is that Alpha almost always has an eye on me, which means I can't slip away.

I was so distracted that I almost missed what Alpha said next.

"Beta, I want you to lead a patrol to check it out." Alpha ordered.

I dipped my head to him. "Of course, Alpha. Who would you like me to take with me?"

He nodded towards the other three who were standing in a line beside me. "Them." He growled. "The scent seemed to be werecat so I only want werecats going."

I nodded slowly pretending to think. Bringing Daisy might be a good idea too since she has the same beliefs as the rest of us...

"Alpha," I said hesitantly. "Might we take Daisy as well? There may be safety in numbers if there is a werecat pressing at our borders."

Gwen shot me a fearful look behind Alpha's back. I ignored her and looked at him steadily.

Alpha looked at me cautiously. He didn't look certain but finally he nodded his head in consent.

"Thank you Alpha." I said graciously. I lowered my head again and the others followed my lead.

"Dismissed." Alpha ordered.

We all stood and walked out the door. As I was the last one out I closed it lightly behind me.

"You took a fair sized risk there, Finn." Gwen growled softly.

I know that she's trying to do her best to protect us all. Since all three of us are orphans she's become sort of a second mother to us.

"I understand that Gwen." I said softly. "I will explain everything in time, but for now I need you and Sunny to go and fetch Daisy from the cafe. River and I will meet you outside."

Gwen still looked uneasy and even Sunny looked wary as she left to follow Gwen back to the cafeteria.

I nodded to River. "Let's go."

River loyally followed me to the main door and outside where we would wait for the others.

"What was that all about?" River finally asked.

"I think you already have a good idea." I mumbled. I looked down at my feet, too ashamed to meet his gaze.

"I know. You'll have to tell the others everything." River muttered, more to himself than me.

"And I will. Once we're somewhere safe." I responded to him, even though he hadn't been talking to me.

We sat there in an uncomfortable silence until Gwen and Sunny finally reappeared, leading Daisy after them. Daisy had a look of sheer confusion.

"Let's go." I ordered. Without even looking back to see if they'd followed my order I began walking into the trees, heading for the Bear Claw Pack territory.

I knew that the others (excluding River) had no idea what was going on. Sunny had caught up to me at one point to explain that she had told Daisy what had happened in Alpha's office.

Finally we reached an empty clearing midway to the border, the best place I could think of to explain the situation to my friends. I can only hope that they're as understanding as River was.

"Finn what on earth is going on?!" Gwen burst out once I had finally stopped.

I bit my lip nervously. The time has finally come, the time I tell my friends everything. The truth about who I am, why I'm here.

"I brought you all here because I have something I need to tell you all." I started off slow, unsure. "River already knows because he sensed it, before I could tell him and explain myself."

"Go on." Daisy said quietly.

"The day that you all found me and brought me to the pack, I wasn't really being chased by a patrol from the Bear Claw Pack."

"But that doesn't make any sense!" Sunny exclaimed. "We saw them chasing you!"

"Yes... But they weren't really chasing me. We just needed anyone who saw me to think they were. I came here to protect my clan, the Lion Claw Pride."

Gwen, Daisy, and Sunny all looked at me with wide eyes and open mouths. Only River looked the same. He nodded to me to go on.

I continued my explanation until I had revealed everything, except for my real name...

"So, if 'Finn' isn't your real name, what is?" Sunny finally asked.

This is going to be the hardest thing to reveal to them, everyone has heard my name. Since I was the youngest leader in the history of any pack or clan, my name has become somewhat famous, even among rogues.

"My name, is Skye Summers."