Part 30

Asher

Josie asked if she could be here when my girls arrive, and I told her I would rather she didn't come. Not because I don't want her around, as she thinks, it's because I haven't had a chance to talk to Greer about the DNA test. There's also the fact the girls don't even know she exists.

I watched out the window impatiently, and the hours are going by slowly.

"Staring out the window won't make them get here any sooner." Dario walked into the room.

"You're right, I feel like I've waited an eternity."

"They landed fifteen minutes ago, so they'll be here within the hour. Chill out and have a drink." He said.

"No, that won't help."

He busied himself on his laptop.

"I'm going to the kitchen and telling Enrico to have dinner ready about an hour later than usual."

"Go for it." He didn't look up from his laptop.

Once that was done, I decided to check my messages. I have to get back to work soon, and I hope that doesn't lead to any problems for Greer.

I checked the window again, but saw nothing.

I thought about the day we were painting Greer's playroom, and the way Maggie danced to that stupid song. Greer finally joined in, and it was the first time I saw my daughter genuinely smile from happiness.

Then there was the night I found Maggie on the floor, and she said she couldn't sleep from all the fucking, then I carried her downstairs.

"Maggie I swear we have to find you the right man. Just because Justin got rough with you doesn't mean that all sex is the same with other men. He's the reason you can't enjoy sex. You need to let go of that and loosen up a lot."

"I'm scared, Asher! Everything I thought I knew about myself is wrong. I have nobody left but Greer, and you'll be taking her away. The rest of my family is dead, and I have nothing. I had to plan a double funeral all by myself, and nobody even showed up to say goodbye. That's going to be me someday."

Dammit, the girl deserves more.

I was brought out of those thoughts, when two SUV's pulled in the driveway. My feet took off for the door before I even thought about it. Grant was helping Greer from the car, and the second he put her down she came running for me with a huge smile on her face.

She jumped into my arms and squeezed on to me so tight, I almost couldn't breathe. "Did we pass our test, daddy?"

"With flying colors. You're definitely my daughter."

"I'm happy daddy!"

"Honey, it's the best news I've ever gotten. Did you take good care of Aunt Maggie for me?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "She's sad, daddy."

"Why is she sad?"

"I don't know, but I don't like it." She pouted.

I finally saw Maggie emerge, and my pulse raised. She walked toward me, and Greer is right, she's very sad.

"Maggie, you're a sight for sore eyes. I was so worried about both of you."

She gave me a fake smile. "We're fine. I'm going to go rest for a while before dinner." She walked toward the house.

"See daddy, she's sad."

"I see that, what do you think we should do?"

She shrugged. "I don't think she wants to go on her trip."

"Well, maybe she won't go. We will have to think on it. Let's get ready for dinner."

When dinner rolled around, Maggie didn't want to join us. She slept that whole afternoon and night. I managed with Greer, since Elle understandably quit, and tucked her in by myself.

Just like every single night since Maggie first showed up at my office, I'm tossing and turning.

The next morning, she didn't show for breakfast, and I've had it up to here with her behavior. I have a bad feeling she's distancing herself from Greer because she thinks I'm taking Greer away.

"Clara Ann, please keep an eye on Greer for a while, I'll be upstairs."

She agreed, and I went on up and knocked on Maggie's door.

"It's open."

I opened it and stepped inside before shutting it behind me. I didn't see her.

"Maggie?"

"I'm in the bath, Asher. What do you need?"

"I came by to talk."

"Alright, I'll be out in a second."

I sat patiently, and waited until she walked out with her hair pinned up and a towel wrapped around her body.

Damn!

I could feel my hands shake, and I squeezed them tightly shut.

"What do we need to discuss?" She reached in her drawer for a pair of white lace panties.

"Why are you going to Paris?"

She opened a different drawer.

"Why do you think? It's for work."

"You don't have to go, Greer still needs you."

She set her things down, walked over to the bed, and sat down next to me.

"Asher, I appreciate you trying to include me, I really do, but the two of you need to bond. That can't be done if I'm in the way. You're about to start a new life with Greer and your fiancé, and my presence will delay your progress. I still have about ten days before I leave, so I'll help while I can, but I have to pull back and start distancing myself. That's not just for Greer, but for me too."