Part 26

Asher

It wasn't an hour after it all blew up, Grant's friend from the FBI showed up.

That gave me the perfect amount of time to do what was necessary. Jack and his bastard son are both laying in the den with a bullet hole right between their eyes.

Maggie's bastard ex might have double-crossed her, but Jack's father double-crossed him.

Grant called Moretti while Maggie was at the Cafe with Calabresi. Moretti had already spoken to the old man and agreed to take over Calabresi territory. Jack fucked up, because half his men turned on him. They escaped with their lives, but not Jack and his son. The others were taken into custody.

There are no other casualties, and my girls are safe to return home, but not until we get this place cleaned up. Neither one needs to see this mess.

"I need to leave for Chicago as soon as possible," I told Dario.

"They aren't in Chicago." He said.

"What? They're supposed to be in Chicago."

"Grant's not going to take his family to Chicago. Especially during a time of unrest within the mafia. He took them into hiding, and it may be a few days before we hear from them."

"What the fuck? I want to know where my girls went!" I'm getting pissed.

"I don't even know where they are, Asher. They shot at his wife, and he won't take that lightly. It's a damn good thing you took out both Calabresi men. Otherwise, it would be longer until they'd return. We need to stabilize things here."

"You don't need me to do that."

"Don't you have a little lady at home that might need your attention?"

"Greer and Maggie are my priority right now. Josie is fine, I just want to go to them."

He gave me a raised eyebrow.

"What?"

"You've got a damn fine woman at home. The girls aren't coming back for a few days, and I've got this under control. Go home and enjoy her while you can, cause once that little girl comes back, you won't have as much time."

"How the hell do you know about her?"

"We know everything about you, Asher. It's our business to know everything."

"I'm not leaving until I see the girls. I'll be here if they call." I paced.

He sat back and crossed his arms. "What's this Maggie mean to you? You've been concerned about her since you arrived."

"My daughter depends on her."

He smirks. "Your daughter or you?"

"Both of us. I have no clue what to do without Maggie."

"It has nothing to do with the fact that she's selfless, charming, and she's one of the most beautiful women in the world?"

"You forgot stubborn, spoiled, bitchy, and a pain in the ass, but she's my daughter's Aunt, and Greer is her only family."

"You're in love with her." He accuses.

"I am not, she's a pain in my ass."

"What has she ever done to you?"

I thought about it. "She came into my life," I said.

"I knew it, and now you're avoiding home."

"I'm not avoiding home, and are you forgetting there are two dead bodies right over there?" I pointed.

"Our clean-up crew is coming. FBI won't take them cause this is off the books. Anyways, you're changing the subject." He shook his head at me.

"There's nothing more to say. She's a pain in my ass, and I'm stuck with her forever. I'm only putting up with her for my daughter."

"Whatever you say, man. Just like Grant and Sena, I called it first." He patted my shoulder and left the room.

I have no clue why the hell he thinks that way. Yeah right, in love with Maggie, what a jackass.

I went up to my room and took a shower to get all the blood off me before bed. Dario can take care of the rest. Including the traumatized nanny.