Chapter Seven- Escape

Start from the beginning

The Dark ones had come, he had to warn the temple.

Eboni.

He froze. They were here for Eboni- and Iasa he reminded himself.

Changing direction, he ran quickly to Eboni's bedroom, slamming into the door not giving her time to wake up.

"Eboni!" he shouted waking her from her slumber.

"Bren?" she murmured groggily, turning over in her bed, her black hair sprawling out across the white pillows.

"Eboni!" he rushed to her side, shaking her awake. "The Dark Ones are here, wake up! Please you have to wake up!"

"The Dark Ones?!" She squeaked, her eyes flying open, now wide eyed and awake.

"Get dressed, we have to leave." He grabbed her Sisters cloak throwing it to her as she pulled on her boots.

"Leave?" she replied finishing the laces "Where?"

"I don't know, somewhere safe." He turned to look out of the window, the black mist now almost at the temple.

"I don't see anything." Eboni whispered questioningly, joining him at the window, tying her hair up securely on top of her head.

"You don't see the black mist?" he turned to stare at her wide eyed and confused. Looking back out, he noticed it rising over the temple as though an invisible shield was stopping it from getting any further. There was no way she could miss seeing it!

"But I trust you." She whispered again, squeezing his hand in reassurance.

The call to arms bell sounded in the courtyard, it had never been rung before in the temples entire history, built, he had thought, for decoration. Now the structure made sense. They sucked in sharp breath.

"We have to go to Princess Iasa. Now we're together it would be foolish to lose her." Eboni opened her trunk, hauling out a small white satchel and slung it over her shoulders, he looked at her questioningly. "It's my 'in case of an emergency' bag." She said answering his silent question.

He walked forward grabbing her hand tightly.

"Stay near me." He ordered

"I'm right behind you- always." she smiled squeezing his hand reassuringly before following him out into the hallway.

It was pandemonium, he felt Eboni quiver next to him, pulling her thorough the hallway and out into the gardens he tried to think about what to do.

As they reached the courtyard the High Priestess came running out of the Temple, nearing her for instructions they heard her chanting an old prayer under her breath. Coming closer she grabbed them both into a tight hug before ushering them into the temple.

Though this building was only used for prayer, right now it was filled with Brothers, Sisters and Rolezal soldiers all getting ready for a fight. It was a sight to behold and had he not been in a rush would have spent more time taking in the scene around him.

"The barrier is up for now. It will protect us from the mist, but not from the Dark Ones. It is time, you must go get Iasa and run."

Eboni nervously bit her lip "You can see the mist too? Why can't I?"

"No one can see it, but we know it's there because the barrier is up. Wait, who can see it?" she looked confused "No matter" She continued quickly before Bren could speak. "Go to Rolezal first, from there you must find the others. Be brave, be strong and be wise. When the time is right we will meet again."

She scooped Eboni into a quick hug and gave Bren a squeeze on the shoulder. At the sound of shouting and screaming from outside Bren puled Eboni from the temple towards the guest rooms where Iasa was sleeping.