Chapter 28

The overcast sky seemed perfectly fitting for the day we were having. The three of us had stolen yet another vehicle in the midst of our escape. This time, it was a red minivan from the motel parking lot.

Dallas had shown off his racecar driver skills once more, easily gliding in between vehicles on the Autobahn until we reached Munich. We weren't running late to meet Dallas's ally, so there hadn't really been a need for speeding. I silently suspected that his stunt driving had been less about getting to Munich quickly, and more about showing off in front of Matt.

I rolled my eyes at the thought. Men and their "my-dick-is-bigger-than-your-dick" competitions...

When we reached the train station, Dallas pulled the vehicle around to a back alley where three dumpsters sat. There was a concrete wall separating the alley from a neighborhood. Trash littered the ground, the wind blowing plastic bags and leaves around, and large, overgrown vines clung to nearly every surface in sight. The train station looked like it hadn't seen a soul in months.

"This is it?" Matt questioned, taking in the unwelcoming scene.

Dallas drummed his fingers on the bottom of the steering wheel and nodded. "This is it."

"This guy must not be here yet," I said from the front passenger seat. "Any idea how long we might be waiting?"

"Oh, he's here. Trust me." Dallas's words sounded a little ominous. "He's just waiting in the shadows."

That was unsettling the way he phrased it, but I understood why the man would want to wait to show himself. He wanted to observe us and make sure he wasn't walking into something he didn't want to be a part of. It was a common approach agents took, including me, on occasion.

Dallas pulled out his phone and typed a quick text to his comrade, verifying that we had arrived and were waiting for him to make the first move.

While he did that, I decided to make good use of our time, and awkwardly climbed into the backseat beside Matt, fishing through my bag for some first aid supplies.

"What are you doing back there, Tali?" Dallas sounded confused and a little irritated.

I pulled a small roll of bandage wrap out and set it in my lap while I slid Matt's shirt sleeve up over his shoulder to get access to his wound.

"Changing the bandage," I said, tearing off the old soiled one. "I meant to do this earlier."

Dallas didn't respond, but I knew it was festering in his mind, bothering him that I was taking care of Matt. I knew he didn't like the sight of me sitting so close to my team leader, much less touching him, but he was just going to have to deal with it. There was nothing wrong with what I was doing.

I cleaned Matt's wound, which appeared to be on the way to healing nicely, and got to work on rewrapping his arm. He winced when I tugged a little too tightly on the bandage, but seemed unaffected otherwise.

I could see Dallas fuming with jealousy, eyeing us in the rearview mirror. It was a little strange to me, considering he'd never been the jealous type before. He'd always been territorial, but never to the point of looking angry at the sight of me being around another man. Although, I doubted he would act this way if I was around any other guy. I was almost one-hundred-percent positive that this was strictly a problem he had with Matt, and I could understand why. I just wished he'd let it go, though.

But maybe that was something the two of them needed to work out on their own. Maybe I just needed to step aside and let them wisecrack at each other until they got over whatever the issue was between them. Or maybe it would get to the point that I'd have to sit them both down and talk to them about it, but I didn't want to have to do that.