Chapter 19

Pancakes that tasted like the batter was full of sand, paired with syrup that tasted more like motor oil was not what I had in mind when Dallas shook me awake to go get breakfast. No wonder we were the only customers at that café.

While we sat in awkward silence and ate, my mind drifted back to last night and all the wonderful things he'd made me feel. No doubt, the cleaning crew would know what we'd done when they saw how torn up the bed was. I was sure that every single guest at the motel could hear my blissful cries off and on throughout the night. I didn't care, though. Honestly, a large part of me wanted people to hear, wanted someone to know how good he made me feel. Under normal circumstances, I might've even taken to shouting it from the rooftops how in love I was with this man.

But these weren't normal circumstances. I was reminded of that when I looked up from my food to see Dallas's eyes scanning over every surface and darting to every corner of the café. It sickened me that I couldn't remember a time when I didn't do the same thing. Years of being on guard from the moment I woke up to the moment I fell asleep had really taken a toll on my psyche. I hated having to live as if there was danger lurking behind every corner, as if every stranger was an enemy. It wasn't fair, to myself or to any of the innocent people I judged.

"You're not hungry?" Dallas's eyes found mine and I noted a twinge of concern.

I shrugged, pushing away my barely touched plate. "I don't have much of an appetite. Too much on my mind."

"Thinking about today?" he asked knowingly.

Bile rose up in my throat at the thought. We'd spent thirty minutes creating a plan of action before leaving the motel. The plan was to break into the bank before it opened, undetected. Given the fact that we didn't know who all was after us or where we might encounter them, it seemed best to take our chances with breaking in rather than giving a customer or employee at the bank the opportunity to recognize one of us. With the German authorities searching for us, we'd likely made it onto the news stations by now.

I gave him my best unpleased look and groaned. "You and your ideas, David."

He just chuckled and downed the rest of his crappy coffee. I never did understand how he could drink it black. It was too bitter, in my opinion.

I hoped one day I would get to argue with him over whether or not creamer was a necessity as we sat in our own kitchen, in our own house, happily married and bickering over little things like a normal couple. Oh, how badly I longed for that.

"When do you want to leave?" I asked just as two tall men in police uniforms walked into the café.

Dallas and I acted as if we didn't notice them, but made sure to watch them carefully, peripherally.

The officers greeted the man behind the counter and then took a seat at a booth on the opposite side of the café. They didn't appear interested in us, but I wasn't about to let my guard down.

"We've got a little time," Dallas said quietly. "We can hang out here a few more minutes. Don't want to look suspicious, leaving right after they walked in."

I nodded and continued to circle the stir stick in my now-cold coffee while he scrolled through something on his phone.

The man behind the counter turned on a small tube T.V. hanging from the ceiling in the corner of the room as he made his way to the policemen to take their order. The morning news was just beginning with a skinny bleach blonde anchor who was all-too-cherry for it being so early. She was a fast talker, going through the details of several stories in just a few minutes. I wasn't paying much attention, only listening in for when the weather forecast would come on.