Fading Features

TREY'S POV

I waited patiently for the call to connect, I was aching to see her face after so long. It'd only been a couple of days but I felt as though I was drowing. But I can't explain to her what I was doing, it'd break her heart more than anything amount of walking out I could do. The call was taking forever, the small symbol showing the buffering screen was spinning like a broken record. Maybe if I saw her then I could rest easy until I could go back, I had to sort everything out in Texas first. 

The call eventually went through and I prepared myself to see her staring at me again, the last time I saw her face it was tear stained and had a look of pure sorrow, I wanted to see her happy again. When her face showed up on my screen I almost had a heart attack, she was beautiful, she always is, but she wasn't the Jordyn I saw a few days ago. Her eyes were exhausted and her false smile was as easy to read as ever. "Jordyn what's happened?" 

She paused briefly, contemplating on whether she should say something I presume, and eventually sighed, "I over did it a bit in training today, kind of passed out."

"Passed out?! Are you okay? Where was Alec? Izzy?" 

"Trey shut the fuck up for one minute would you?" she spoe harshly and I instantly cut the sound from my throat, "Thanks. Now, let's not pretend to have small talk when I still haven't gotten a good enough answer from you. You changed your number too." 

"Jor-"

"No." She cut me off again, "You want me to be honest with you Trey? It's been hell. Pure hell and I don't know why you left but if you don't explain everything right now on this call it'll be the last one you'll ever got from me." 

This time it was my turn to sigh, she was right. I knew she was 100% right. But the particular part of me that doesn't want to hurt her anymore, basically all parts, was holding back my words. I checked her eyes, the stunning ocean blue that captivated me in a second, she wasn't joking. And I couldn't risk losing her, not forever. 

"I'm waiting..."

"We were fourteen. I had just come back to Paris for a visit and you and Dawson had become closer than I'd ever seen you, I knew why. Our family had forgotten his birthday again, so I wanted to make sure someone told him how much he meant to us. I got there and Mrs Reid told me you were at the Louvre, and that I should go and find you both since the Institute wasn't that far away. When I got there I saw you in the crowd, your hair was that gorgeous platinum blond and it was caught in your ice cream. Dawson helped you get it out and you were so close to eachother, then y-"

"We kissed." she said and I watched her face as she began putting pieces together in her mind. "It didn't mean anything to either of us Trey, we were like brother and sister, it was weird." 

"I kept telling myself that. Believe me I did. But imagine being in love with someone at that age, I felt as though you had fractured my very soul. It was so stupid, but that's what started the spiralling jealousy." 

"You were jealous of Dawson?" she asked, I nodded and continued talking. 

"I stopped visiting as often, I dated every girl that was willing to even give me a second of attention and I tried, I tried so hard to forget about you. Then," I braced myself, knowing that I could make or break our relationship now if I sounded even the slightest bit insensitive. "I turned up in Paris the night of the crash, and I walked along that street as your car passed me, you both didn't notice me of course, but I saw Camille's lap dogs following behind you."

"You.." she tried to process what I was saying, "You.. you saw what was about to happen, and you did nothing?!"

"Jordyn, I was walking on opposite side of the road, there's nothing I could've done. But I shouldn't have waited this long to tell you. I love you too much for that."