Chapter Six

Philip cradled Esther in his arms as they lay in bed. He felt like he had never held anything so fragile. Like under the slightest pressure she would break.

   After she had collapsed on the floor he had scooped her up and taken her into the other room where she had broken down and cried to him. He had taken her into his arms and comforted her until she had cried herself to sleep. He had laid her down in bed and laid beside her. She had instinctively curled into his chest. It was honestly one of the cutest things she had ever done.

   Philip held her small frame close to him. He couldn't sleep. Not now. Too much was happening. Usually he would go smoke to relieve his stress, but he didn't feel it now. He also didn't want to leave Esther. For all the times she would protect everyone else, she needed to be protected just as much. But she would never admit it. She had too much pride.

   Philip lifted his head when he heard the door creak open. Ty crawled in on all fours. Philip squinted his eyes, not sure if he was hallucinating or not.

"Tyler?" Philip whispered sitting up a bit. Ty froze. His head moved up slowly as he met Philip's eyes.

   "O-oh. Ph-Philip." Ty stuttered. "I assumed you would be asleep. I'm sorry. I was just gonna sleep on the floor next to your bed. Being near Esther usually helps me stay calm." He rambled on and on. Philip grew impatient. He didn't feeling having social interactions at the moment.

   "Tyler." He snapped to shut Ty up. Ty's eyes darted up, looking nervous. Esther shifted from all the sudden comosien, but soon drifted back into a calm sleep. "Get up here." Philip pulled the blankets back so Ty could get in and Ty's face lit up. He didn't hesitate to climb into the bed and cuddle up under the blankets. A warm smile seemed to grace Esther's lips. Ty fell asleep almost immediately.

   Esther rolled over, her head finding its way back onto Philip's chest. He wrapped his arms around her. This. This was his family. Not that whore father that he left behind, or his dad's slutty girlfriend.

   Hours passed. At least it felt like hours. Philip wasn't sure how long it was. His eyes were kept closed unless Esther stirred and he would coax her back to sleep. But something felt off this time. He peeled his eyes open and froze. At the foot of the bed, stood Eleanor. She just stood, watching them. After a while he began to wonder if she was sleepwalking.

   "Eleanor?" He whispered. He sat up, Esther's head rolled off his chest. "Eleanor, are you sleepwalking? Here. I'll get you back to bed." He stood up and swung his legs over the side of the bed, preparing to get up. Eleanor's head then whipped to face him and pinned him with her gaze.

   "No." She stated. Then she walked away and went back in the other room. Philip sat there, unnerved. He didn't sleep at all that night.