Chapter Four

Fear. A feeling that will rattle you to your core and shake you until you feel broken. A feeling that will cause your mind to run in circles until it's almost insane from over thinking every possible scenario. This was a feeling that had been stuck with Philip ever since the very early hours of the morning when he had seen Eleanor at the foot of his bed. It had only grown inside him when she had given him that smile. That damned smile. A smile that would give him nightmares for days, maybe weeks.

   Esther noticed his uneasiness and moved closer to him. She didn't know what it was, but it must have really freaked him out. Philip never let his fear become evident, especially not in public. Esther always felt the need to comfort her friends. To be there for them whenever they need someone.

   Philip casually slipped his hand into Esther's empty one and she didn't pull away. She simply tightened her grip on his hand in a form of comfort, and that was enough for Philip. That small gesture was enough to provide ease to him and calm his jittery nerves.

   The three friends strode into the cafe of the hotel. It was small, having only three tables. It smelt of rotting food, as well. Philip wrinkled his nose to signify the stink.

   "It smells like something died in here." He commented. Esther elbowed him in the ribs. Lauren, ignoring his statement, walked over to a counter. An old lady turned from a desktop computer and looked at them.

   "What can I do for you young folks?" She asked sweetly. Lauren smiled politely.

   "Hello ma'am." She ordered for them and herself, but by the time she ordered everything, she was making a full conversation with the old lady. Philip was staring off into space while Esther had taken to studying other people to pass the time. A few minutes passed, "And that's when I said, you can't eat a whole cake by yourself. Boy did he prove me wrong!" Lauren chuckled at her own story. The old lady howled with laughter.

   "That reminds me of a time-" Philip cut them off by tugging on Lauren's sleeve.

   "Sorry to interrupt this... lovely conversation, but I'm starving." Esther gave a soft nod though it was clear that she wasn't paying all that much attention to what was happening. Lauren nodded.

   "Well then I guess we should get going. Goodbye ma'am. It was nice talking to you." She said to the old lady politely as they left back to their room. Everyone was very glad to get the food and they dug right in.

   "For such an old hotel, they provide good food." John smiled, "Or maybe I'm just hungry."

   "Or maybe both." Adam chuckled. He coughed a bit while laughing, but it soon turned into choking.

   "Adam! Try to stay calm!" Lauren ran over to him, and tried to help, but to no avail. Adam kept choking. Matt had jumped up and was already calling 911. Adam's body started convulsing, and then he went still. Deathly still. Everything went silent. John checked his pulse and froze, shaking his head. Eleanor let out a sob and began to cry. Matt came and was quick to comfort her.

   "H-he's dead. I can't believe it." Megan whimpered. Kathy, soon, followed Eleanor and tears started to fall down her cheeks. During the entire thing, Esther hadn't moved. She stood still and watched the scene unfold before her. Ty was shaking and crying himself, doing his best not to throw up. Philip's eyes were wide and glazed. This truly was a sad day.